SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Review

The product works well, but is only as good as the servers it uses.

What is most valuable?

Being able to utilize a connection to the database with a semantic layer, so it can be modified if needed to fit a particular need. The Universe does this quite well and allows for business names to be used in place of the cryptic database name.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of downloading the information into a spreadsheet or something similar, you can now develop the graphs and drilldown, drillup needs for the different departments in an easy to use and functional method.

What needs improvement?

The development of the Design Studio to be ready for prime time. It is pretty well ready now just needs a few points finished to make it completely ready.

I have used this solution in different areas for about 17 years

A few, these were related mainly to the development team not realizing how much data they actually had.

Not really, there have been a few hiccups but that was mainly due to bandwidth since we have a centralized location for the servers now.

No issues with scalability.

For SAP it's not too bad, would always like to have it better of course.

Very good.

We used Cognos however the price was getting too prohibitive, and it was time for a change.

Fairly straightforward but, not as easy as the vendor made it sound. As with most things it was not just a flip of the switch.

We used a mix of both in-house and vendor teams.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to realize how much data you will be processing and how many users you will have, this will help you to scale the needs to the product. The product works well, but is only as good as the servers it uses.

More SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform reviews from users