SAP Cloud Platform Review

Has inherent scalability that resides on the cloud but the product is a bit clumsy

What is our primary use case?

I am working for a consultancy company. We have this application that we are designing which needs services to get our ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) data transferred to our data services on the cloud. When we collect some data from applications, we can see information like what kind of applications people are using so we are aware. Then we can inform the managers so that they know and can take action. That is one part we have working.

We also have some simple list-based applications so users can get lists of orders for today, or tasks for today, or tasks for a selected week. Also it is like a task list. We let users create some list of obligations where you can say something is confirmed done. Then that information gets posted back to the ERP for tracking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is the scalability inherent in it because it resides on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

This product needs a lot of improvement and should be simplified. It is really clumsy. You need a lot of connections running just to get it working. Even though it is a private cloud, we need a lot of connection speed and resources. I would have preferred something on-premises which would have been very simple. But that is our use case: programming and hosting it on our web solution. And that is all.

I would personally like to see a lot of examples of how to do things with the solution. This is a scalar platform and they are providing some solutions. There are some applications available that you can activate from cloud connectors, et cetera. That is good. But I need to see examples of what some use cases are and I need to be able to build some applications. It is not just about how can I utilize this platform, but there should be step-by-steps. For example, in step one, I need all my connections in place. Well, I also need to know also what kind of connections. Second, I need to know what my data should be. Third, I want to know how I can use a simple auditor. These can be very simple examples for different features. It would be helpful.

If you go to some other platform tool sites, they are loaded with examples and templates, et cetera. I think that part of the presentation of this solution is missing here. It is as if they are saying that even from the start I had to know everything about how the product works before I ever used it. That is frustrating at times. Instead, it is always like a game of trial and error to see if something is working or not. That is time-consuming and very frustrating.

I have been using SAP Cloud Platform for over now one-and-a-half years now.

My impression of the stability is that it is not good. Almost every month there is something new and that makes us nervous about delivery. If our applications are running fine and something critical changes, we may need to make changes to fix our solution and then test it and deploy it. Maybe doing updates once a year would be fine. But I think the changes are too frequent and this makes it a very difficult platform to develop on.

The scalability of the product is fine. Scalability is one of the benefits that we have in using the product.

I do not know exactly how many people are using the solution in our organization, but we have a little over 20 users with some four to five admin roles. So there are about 30 users in total.

I would say that the technical support is okay. I was using it because we had some questions for our testing. Someone is always there in the office, so it is easy to contact them. Or we can create a ticket and it will go to our contact person. It is not certain that we get an immediate response which is common in any technology. Overall, the service is not bad.

I was a consultant working with encryption. My part in that consulting team was working with SAP and since the beginning, I was working with S/4HANA. Right from early 2016, I have been working on mobile applications. I was working on mobile earlier on, but it is not the same these days.

The initial setup is complex. I do not know exactly how long it took to deploy because it was done by a different team. It took at least a month. It is available, but actually getting the product to work as expected could take months. That is too long.

The rates are client-specific because they are negotiated. The actual rates may be classified, even for me.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people considering this solution is that there are a lot of open platforms and tools available. SAP, in particular, is very expensive unless you have an enterprise organization that can afford to use it. Otherwise, it is really very expensive. Personally, I am trying out and testing open source tools like Ionic. Some of those tools are really fantastic, I think. Ionic, for example, has all the features. You have to have proper security in place, but I think that can be managed. But I would recommend that users try out these open source platforms and tools.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product for enterprises as about a six.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More SAP Cloud Platform reviews from users