SAP Contextor Review

Good OCR functionality, runs well in a Citrix environment, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

A few companies in France use Contextor. For example, the Engie gas company is large in France, another company is EDF electrical company, and there are other companies as well. This tool is installed in a few companies in France because Contextor has been in existence for more than ten years. It's known.

In the new economic model, it's good for small use cases. The SAP Contextor provides a volume of transaction operations.

SAP uses Contextor as a tool to increase automation capacity.

What is most valuable?

With Contextor, it is possible to add functionality and add capacity with another language, much like Python or C#.

It is also possible to do that with UiPath and Automation Anywhere, but it is more complicated with these solutions.

The older models of Contextor are good and competent, with good skill, good practice, and the level of precision is important.

One of the biggest differences between Contextor and other solutions is that it is not based on the OCR functionality to discover certain applications like Citrix or remote access.

UiPath and Automation Anywhere use OCR functionalities but with Contextor it's the runtime into the Citrix server.

Contextor is a good solution for a Citrix environment. It's the first with this tool. Other tools provide the same functionality, but not with the Citrix environment.

What needs improvement?

The support is expensive.

Contextor is more difficult to learn and use because of its approach. It is more with the programming. It's a tool for developers who have a good understanding, with good practical skills in JavaScript, and knowledge of the Windows operating system.

UiPath has another approach that is more user-friendly with the strategy that is oriented for the end-user.

I would like to see a better capacity for unstructured data, for example, PDF, or text within images.

I am the owner of a precursor of Contextor. I created it 20 years ago.

This solution is stable.

You must have a good understanding and knowledge of this tool to produce good delivery.

It's similar to UiPath or Automation Anywhere, but the approach of Contextor is more program-oriented and more technical than UiPath or Automation Anywhere.

With the older versions of Contextor, the scalability was not very good because it was necessary to install the backend server directly.

Now, with SAP iRPA, it is not the same situation because SAP provides iRPA on-premises. It's fast and scalable.

I have not deployed the ERPA yet, but I have a few developers who are learning this application.

We have a few thousand users.

The technical support is good but It's more expensive than Contextor.

It's easy to deploy this solution for one or two automated robots, which is good for a small, medium, or large company.

This is not a tool or software with a license as others are. The SaaS model is based on the usage of the tool.

What other advice do I have?

I created a Contextor precursor in the Societe Generale Group 20 years ago.

This tool was discovered by the Xsarnet Company, and ten years ago Xsarnet changed its name to Contextor. In December of last year, Contextor was purchased by SAP.

As a creator of the Contextor precursor, I know this solution internally. I have a strong knowledge of this tool and other solutions, so I am capable of many comparisons between all of these solutions.

UiPath or Automation Anywhere are good solutions, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I would recommend this solution to others. It's a good solution.