SAP Crystal Reports Review

The SQL and report scheduling in version 2008 and the XLSX workbooks in version 2013 are the features I consider most valuable.

Valuable Features

• Version 2008 – SQL & report scheduling
  • Version 2013 – XLSX workbooks

Improvements to My Organization

It quickly delivers consumer-focused prototypes and delivers results and code to R&D.

Room for Improvement

• It needs better graphical visualizations.
  • It needs a better Crystal Viewer.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for about 16 yers

Often at the end of a heavy Crystal Reports/Excel day, both Crystal Reports and Excel will crash with various memory issues. Crystal Reports sometimes has problems emailing and you get a MAPI error. You will get “corrupt” reports after running successfully for a couple of years, and then have to recreate. Sometimes, for no known detectable reason, 2008 will just “vanish” and I will have to restart it.

I am the only person using it, so I haven't had to scale.

For installing, upgrading and billing issues, support is great. But for “how do you do this” type of questions, Ken Hamady on LinkedIn is wonderful.

We have a product built on the Business Objects environment and also offer Crystal Reports instructions to connect to another product via JDBC. In-house analytics is primarily Microstrategy with Tableau scattered about.

I use Crystal Reports because Business Objects, MicroStrategy, and Tableau are too limiting for me. I analyze data and processes using real-time data.

The last install was a few years ago, and if I don’t remember much about the upgrade (to a new laptop), then the upgrade is pretty much straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

I haven't evaluated any other solution, and I have no intention of switching.

Other Advice

It's the most reasonable solution available. If you are looking for a SQL-only product, then this one is not it – go look at SQL Analyzer, or Squirrel. If you want a full package of collecting, analyzing and presenting, then this is the package for you. However, you do need to have a programming angle to really understand the capabilities and power.