SAP Data Services Review

A stable solution with a straightforward setup but cloud integration is not available

What is most valuable?

SAP Data Services is a very general tool for SAP as a source and SAP as a destination. It can also connect to any source and any destination. This is a very valuable aspect of the solution.

The logic is simple. It makes it easy to build your extraction.

You can also do data transformation any way you want to. You can do any kind of transformation to your data and you can change the data.

What needs improvement?

There is a new tool that is going to replace this one, which will be more for platform integration data services. This is a close-knit tool that SAP is suggesting for different solutions. There's a lot lacking in it. You cannot do a lot of transformations. We are facing a lot of issues from that. As a whole, Data Services, is good, but not the platform integration of the Data Services aspect.

The preview for on-prem data services needs more information. The scheduling is also weak. Scheduling of jobs in the sequence is not available. It's a very tedious process to do that particular task. If there was a tool to schedule in the sequence that would be extremely helpful.

I've been using the solution for 3.5 years.

The system is very stable. We have not faced any challenges since implementation.

Scalability is not an issue with this solution.

We have not used a single technical support call for SAP, which is great. As a whole, technical support was good, but recently we have been facing a delay because unless you raise a call with a very high priority there is a delay in the support. A very high priority means you have a financial loss or your computer system is not accessible. I would say the quality of support has been degrading as of late but we are somewhat satisfied with support overall.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not too complex.

SAP services handled the implementation. It was part of a larger implementation called a Systems Operations Planning Tool.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution. We have started using the Cloud Platform Integration with the CPA Data Service. It's a hybrid: both on-premises and cloud.

SAP Data Services has a tool, but it is not a cloud-capable solution. I would advise users thinking about integrating this solution to look at your entire landscape. If you have any cloud systems as part of your landscape, then you need to have a clear understanding of what BODS is capable of doing. BODS Data Services is not good for the cloud.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten because cloud integration is not available and the scheduling part is very immature at this point.