SAP Data Services Review

Easy code writing and good stability but needs integration with big data solutions

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's built on SQL, makes it easy to write code. Also, the database and the connection are quite smooth.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks user-friendly features. Compared to other integration tools I've used before, it's less user-friendly and the built-in features just aren't sufficient.

The description of error messages isn't extensive, although they do point out the problems. With other solutions, like Talend, I was able to use the debugger to get directly to the problem, but with SAP Data Services the debugger is not working. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the version specifically, but I'm using it in an enterprise environment and I can't do an upgrade.

The query feature does not allow a lot of flexibility in building the code. They need to make progress with this feature as well.

In future releases, I'd like to see the integration of a big data solution within SAP Data Services. I don't know if they offer that right now. The version I have is quite basic. If I was able to use more data sources with other software, and have the solution be more compliant with more data source types and big data sources, that would be helpful.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

I would rate the stability seven out of ten. It's good, but it's not the best.

I wasn't part of the initial setup, so I can't speak directly to the implementation of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises version of the solution. We work on the enterprise version and have a few hundred users.

I like the platform. It's quite robust. It's just there are little improvements that could make the solution better, but it's quite a good tool.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.