SAP ERP Review

Real time end-to-end transactions is invaluable. UI needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Real Time end-to-end transactions
  • Industry standard flows
  • Structured data

How has it helped my organization?

• End-to-end visibility
  • Streamlined and ingrained our process

What needs improvement?

• User Interface / User Experience
  • Social features like @mention
  • Workflow engine
  • Browser Capabilities
  • Production Planning

Three years.

Deploying an ERP is a tough task, if not the toughest. It has to do with the fact that our staff did not understand the software well enough, just as the software did not understand us well enough, as we went live.

No issues encountered.

Yes. Sybase, the newly-acquired RDBMS SAP was purchased and we were integrating it into the ERP, didn't scale well and was slow initially. Being one of the first customers of the Sybase/SAP ERP combo, I was disappointed that SAP didn't test out its integration with Sybase thoroughly prior to release.

Aside from the patch, this problem was solved by changing the worker thread parameter on Sybase. We had to rely on our own knowledge based on our previous experience with Sybase.

OK. SAP responded with a patch to our Sybase issue within weeks we of us filing the issue.

OK. The technical support are provided by local SAP partners.

We used a homegrown one. It was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Complex. SAP ERP, even with its so-called industry-specific best practice, does not fit everybody. It must be custom configured to fit your company.

Through a vendor. Their expertise was good.

The ROI, though unofficial, comes from the somewhat shrinking inventory due to an intelligent MRP and the fact that most parts are now fully-accountable for. The ERP has touched upon every corner of our business. While it has streamlined some functional departments right away, other departments have not been adjusted according to my wishes. To get more ROI from an ERP, we have to conduct more data analysis using BI tools (in our case Tableau) to streamline our operations and find problematic issues.

The software was around US$600,000 for 230 users and the vendor implementation cost was around US$1.5 million. The day-to-day cost of using the product is low. Just electricity and user administration maintenance.

• Oracle ERP
  • Yonyou ERP

What other advice do I have?

Allocate enough time to do the blueprint and UAT well, but don't drag on the project for too long. 1 year is good -- not too long and not too short.