SAP ERP Review

Provides great features, processes, and functionalities; offers a lot of customization

What is our primary use case?

I work at a hospital and SAP provides core components. We're in the health industry and we use industry solutions that are designed specifically for health care. We are customers of SAP ERP and I'm a development specialist at a health institution in Colombia.

What is most valuable?

This product has a lot of good features. We previously used several systems that were very difficult to integrate. ERP is great because it's more or less integrated and that makes a big difference in our organization. The modeling of the SAP ERP means it has far more features, processes, and more functionalities than we previously had. In every aspect, SAP is an enterprise solution that has a lot of customization and, as a hospital, it offers us tremendous help that supports our processes.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of functionality that could be improved. We are far better now than we were before, but as a hospital we are very sensitive about security and risk because clinical information is very sensitive so we're using an on-prem solution. We're not ready to go to the cloud and I feel that SAP is trying to force us into the cloud. That is a very different model and would be a huge effort because they are very different licensing models and there are different costs involved. In addition, there are some tools we use that no longer have support for the on-prem versions. The other aspect that's important for us is availability of our systems, and without that we'd be in trouble. If you need security 24/7 and you have a cloud solution there might be a couple of areas where the platform is down and there are disruptions. That's a huge problem for us. I'd like to see some support for the on-premise solution.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This solution is rock solid stable. We had some minor performance issues when we migrated from Oracle to the HANA Database but it's been very stable since then.

The solution is scalable. We also have multiple back up systems so if one goes down there is immediate back up that's transparent for the user, because we're totally dependent on our systems.

We generally receive support from the vendor. If the problem needs more expertise, then we call SAP, but normally we talk to the vendor and they are helpful.

The initial setup is not easy. To deploy SAP ERP you need consultants and you need training. There's a lot to learn before you can properly use the product because it's a huge solution. It took us a year to complete deployment. We deployed the ERP, the central component and the HCF, the human resources module and industry solutions for healthcare that is EHS and EHSM in a year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very, very good solution, but a very, very expensive one too. You need infrastructure, you need training, you need a lot of components and a large amount of money. SAP has a lot of functionality.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

ECC 6.0
More SAP ERP reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with SAP S4HANA
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.