SAP HANA Review

Stable, with very good technical support and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use SAP HANA for machine learning and deep learning.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The solution can scale well.

We've had good experiences with technical support.

The performance is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We use SAP HANA in our projects but it's very expensive for our projects. We need a relational database in-memory that can handle these issues.

The solution is very expensive for us.

It's hard for us to find test users and sometimes we need them to connect to SAP from Iran, however, this is an issue due to the sanctions against the country.

We've been using the solution for more than six years.

We've found the solution to be very, very stable, especially when you compare it to other solutions.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand it so that it fits their growing needs, they can do so easily.

The technical support on offer is very good. We're quite satisfied with their level of service.

We tried GQ database but it's not a stable database. Sometimes the results weren't correct. SAP HANA is much more stable, which is why we use it, even though it's expensive.

The solution is very pricey. We're looking into other options because of this.

We're looking at Oracle products as an option right now. We're also looking at MAT-V, a CPU-based database it's very fast, however, we do occasionally face issues with it.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer. We don't have a professional relationship with SAP.

SAP HANA is not just a memory database, it's a big platform. It's a very, very safe database. It's a very safe database and the performance is very, very good for an in-memory database. For example, sometimes we use Oracle databases 18C or 19C. The data is in the memory, however, when data is running, it's very slow, due to the fact that all data is in the memory and you need to and go to write disk.

Sometimes when the data is very large, we might scale up our approach, and, in the scale-up approach, sometimes it is slow in HANA. That said, the scale-up approach is very, very good. SAP has got one problem. When you start the database, all data from the tool's memory takes a very long time. We've found that IBM's non-volatile memory is better than internal memory.  New users just need to be aware of that.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. The solution, overall, has fantastic performance, however, the cost makes it really hard for us to keep using it.

Private Cloud
More SAP HANA reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with MySQL
Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.