SAP HANA Review

Unmatched performance, good security, and good traceability for audits

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HANA as our primary database for our enterprise business. The product is centrally hosted where all our business departments access the product through its sister product SAP ERP.

The product hosts data for the deployed modules namely, Finance and Control (FICO), Materials Management (MM), Plant Maintenance (PM), Production Planning (PP), Quality Management (QM), Human Capital Management (HCM), and Sales and Distribution (SD).

It also hosts the business warehouse (BW)/BI environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The performance in terms of processing time is unmatched due to the in-memory processing capability.

The administration of the many records that were previously distributed in different systems into a central location has been made easier. All that information has been availed central from multi-locations without the requirement for manipulation using worksheets, as was the case before.

The database is also running our business warehouse and business intelligence environment, where insightful reports are generated for business management.

What is most valuable?

Security and performance are the two most valuable features. Our processing time came down to less than two hours from more than ten hours in the legacy system. We use the product to process our small-scale grower payments at the end of the month and whose daily tea deliveries records are in hundreds of thousands.

The audit trails in the HANA product are so robust that one can trace back to the tiny details of what happened at a particular time, who did it, and the time it was done. This makes auditing of both the transactions and performance of the product possible.

What needs improvement?

The product is very demanding on memory requirements. This is a result of it being an in-memory processing product. The choice of the hardware must be done carefully because when subject to other hardware, it gets slow and just crawls. Memory on the other hand is not cheap because you have to buy it from a third-party.

The cost of the database is not cheap either, as you have to pay for the runtime for any licenses that you purchase, and that comes each year. Now that is punitive with increasing license requirement.

We have been using SAP HANA for six years.

This is a very stable product.

SAP HANA is very scalable.

The customer service is excellent, whereas the technical support is not among the best but we managed.

We used another solution before this one and we switched due to data growth and the need for predictive management.

The initial setup is complex.

SAP itself assisted us with deployment.

Setup and licensing require planning and proper budgeting, as it is not cheap.

We evaluated products by Microsoft and Oracle.

More SAP HANA reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with MySQL
Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.