SAP HANA Review

Huge bandwidth and offers real time results

What is most valuable?

It is a memory database that has all the content of the database. Once the database is turned on, it is loaded in the server RAM. It has a very huge bandwidth and data transfer. Once you try to do any queries against this database you can get the result very fast. You can get real-time output or results. This aspect is very helpful to me.

What needs improvement?

From the deployment-side, I don't have any issues with the solution and haven't heard of any problems from clients.

The solution is very expensive, however. The pricing depends on the number of users and many other factors that affect licensing.

I implement this solution and I've been doing so since 2015.

It is very stable. I use the Linux operating system and find it to be quite stable.

The solution is scalable. You have horizontal or vertical capabilities. You can upgrade the server itself in case the memory is at capacity. The resources of one server are not enough because it's big. According to your requirements, you can expand by adding more servers into one big cluster.

I don't go through the official support team from SAP, but most of the time I use the website to find the answers I need. It's very detailed and most of the problems that I've faced in the past while handling the implementations I can find on the website or on the internet.

Before using SAP HANA, we used other SAP products.

The initial setup is straightforward. For one system, the stand-down system, it will take about four to five days for implementation from scratch. I often handle implementation, so for me, it's straightforward because I have some experience in this area. You do need a skilled team. You have to understand many areas if you want to deploy it yourself. You have to have experience with the storage, the network, with operating systems, etc.

I know SAP itself recommends that you have to have a certificate or a certified person that can deploy SAP HANA.

We are an integrator, so we handle the installation for clients.

What other advice do I have?

The SAP portfolio is huge. It covers all industries and fields. It is very wide horizontally or vertically. It has modules for all industries, fields, and for all departments: accounts, HR, production, they have a solution for each industry and for each department in any organization.

There are some applications that are very sensitive to the delay or the latency so for these types of applications I would recommend SAP HANA. However, if these are not concerns, there may be other database technologies that would be more cost-effective than HANA.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.