SAP HANA Review

Good performance, but the interface should be easier to use

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for database storage.

I am an SAP developer and consultant at my company. I examine the client's system and propose solutions that will ease their processes or make them faster. This involves programming, as well as other kinds of development.

We are using the on-premise deployment model.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very fast.

What needs improvement?

The backup solution and time machine should be more accurate, reliable, and comfortable to use. The inclusion of a well-performing Time Machine is vital.

If the interface were more comfortable and easy to use then it would be excellent. Sometimes, an incorrect request is taken to production and it will corruption everything in the production database.

When there are a large number of records to process in a transaction, it is not any faster than Oracle.

One year.

This solution is very stable. We have been using it for one year and there have been no problems with the database.

I was not involved in the setup of this solution. I only installed SAP HANA Express on my laptop, which was easy. The full version requires professional knowledge. It's not something you can install, like Microsoft Office, on any laptop.

We hired a consulting firm in Turkey to set up our solution. The two machines were configured by SAP Turkey.

I have more than nineteen years of experience with the Oracle database, from version 7.2 through to RAC. I know the administration, as well as backup and recovery very well.

There are not many differences between Oracle and HANA. As an example, for transactional purposes, it is very similar to Oracle.

We switched to HANA from Oracle because SAP systems are moving entirely to the HANA platform. There will be no support for SAP using Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use the HANA features, for example, embedded scripts. This is something that we may use in the future.

My advice to anybody looking to implement a relational database is to use Oracle, rather than HANA. HANA consultants are very rare and therefore costly. My testing has also shown that Oracle in memory is much faster than HANA.

This is a good solution, but the vendor inaccurately promises that the database is ten-thousand times faster than Oracle.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful