SAP HCM Review

Has user-friendly dashboards but it is very difficult to do custom development

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of SAP HCM is for administration benefits and talent management.

What is most valuable?

The integration between the different models like personnel administration, work management, payroll, and time management are the most valuable and key features. It's also very important to make sure that the data is correct as well, to make sure that you get the best out of the solution.

The interface is simple to use. It is quite easy. The dashboards are also user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The management side needs improvement. To me, I think people have underestimated this solution because we know what consists of all the objects in regards to the organizational structures, positions, departments, training, there could be better improvement on that.

On the personnel administration side, it's very difficult to do custom development. You're always dependent on your editors to do that. And now again, I'm comparing it to SuccessFactors because on SuccessFactors it's very easy to do. Any additional fields or stuff you want, they have the ability to apply all those changes. I would say that's where this solution really falls short. It makes the maintenance and the support of the system very complicated as well. There needs to be more support for the HCM solution.

I have been using this solution since 1996, so 23 years.

The current on-prem solution is not that stable anymore because there is so much more work that the cloud offering has and you cannot do that with an on-prem solution. Very soon everybody is going to have to move to the cloud.

I believe that the on-prem solution is going to have to phase out. SAP is focusing now on the cloud solution. And that's the reason why I feel obscure on Employee Central.

Technical support needs improvement.

The initial setup is not complex. It will mostly depend on your consultant. I wouldn't say it's that difficult. I probably also would give it a six out of a 10. It's not as easy as SuccessFactors.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is that integration is so important. You must understand integration, even within HCM between the different module.

More SAP HCM reviews from users