SAP IQ Review

It allows us to centrally store data, but DR capabilities need improving.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to load data from flat files very quickly
  • Data compression
  • Fast querying for aggregations

How has it helped my organization?

IQ has enabled our company to load data from our data vendors in under one hour and eliminated multiple copies and hours of processing time.

What needs improvement?

DR capabilities need to be improved. For instance, unlike SAP ASE, there is no ability to replicate from IQ to IQ.

I've used it for 10 years.

No issues were experienced during deployment, however, we hit performance issues on Solaris which were eliminated when we migrated to the Linux platform.

With various patches of v15.4 and v16.0, we had instances where the IQ server crashed under certain circumstances. The vendor has addressed most of the issues though.

None product-related and we were able to get around by tuning. Though as we add more data and more users we may have to consider IQ multiplex in the future.

7/10.

9/10.

We used ASE to store the data in IQ. We switched as IQ now allows us to centrally store the data in one place and in a compressed format.

It's straightforward; IQ is one of the easiest DBMS to install.

For our initial IQ server we had Sybase consultants, and we used them again for our migration to Linux. Their expertise was 7/10.

Hardware cost was the biggest savings, in the tens of thousands of dollars.

No, as since we had Sybase ASE we took their IQ product without evaluating any other options.

What other advice do I have?

IQ is a niche product and is good for data storage with it's massive compression ability and adhoc querying. With the emergence of in-memory databases and MPP platforms (like Cassandra, HANA, Greenplum,etc.). I see IQ being used as more of a data store than interacting with the end users or apps if shops chose to use these new technologies.