SAP Lumira Review

I find myself using it for fancier reports. It's not flexible enough for me to use every day.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration, so it's easy to integrate different data sources. Then you can play with the data in the first screen that basically turns it into a table. I like that, that I can integrate multiple sources of data.

How has it helped my organization?

To be honest, the way I function, I'm not sure it has improved the organization. I work for an SAP third-party vendor, so I got my Lumira license through my company. Basically, we use it because it's an SAP product and we have a certain amount of licenses for our company. I use it as a tool to visualize some data about SAP, so actually, I typically only use it for presentations. To some extent, it has improved them.

What needs improvement?

An area of improvement, for sure, is the flexibility of the visualization. Often, my clients want us to see the data in a very specific way, maybe with their color palettes or whatever they want to see. Lumira is not very flexible when it comes to the color palette, or even being able to sort of like change the axes so that I want to see data in a different order. I want to see the bars in a different order, things like that. It's harder to manipulate than if I were to use Excel, where it's very simple to manipulate that kind of thing.

Lumira is a little bit more what-you-see-is-what-you-get, but if you need to change it substantially, I still go back to Excel.

The first time I used it was about a year and a half ago. I use it pretty infrequently. I don't use it every day, but yeah, I've been using it for about a year and a half.

It's a bit slow. It seems to be a bit of a hog on resources, but overall, I've never had it crash. I have heard that it has crashed when you pull in big data sets, but typically, I don't pull in very big data sets. Maybe I only have a thousand records. I've never experimented with a million records or two million records, or other loads that might be a better test of its stability.

I haven't had any scalability issues because I've never really really leveraged the tool for very, very large data. I've only ever used the tool for its visualizations with small data sets, a thousand records or less.

I've never reached out to Lumira customer service. Overall, I'm happy with their releases. Their releases seem to be come out fairly frequently. New releases always seem to improve it, but I've never spoken to the customer service directly.

The setup was very straightforward. I installed it, I registered the license, and then I was up and running within a few minutes. It really wasn't very hard to set up.

I've used Tableau before. I like Tableau. The company I work for now doesn't have a license for Tableau, and they have a license for Lumira. I wanted to leverage Lumira for the same functions as Tableau. I would say that, to be honest, it's not quite the same level.

What other advice do I have?

My rating is because I see the potential that it has for the business user. I don't think it's quite at the point where it's flexible enough to be a stand-alone data visualization tool, the only one you use, because, as I've mentioned, I still use Excel. I use Excel more than I use Lumira for some specific reports and similar tasks, but I often find myself using Lumira for some of the fancier reports. For example, the geographical and other reports that Excel doesn't do quite as well. I see that it has a lot of really great tools, but it's not flexible enough for to use day-to-day.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for a third-party vendor.