SAP Lumira Review

Connecting to an Excel file is easy. For more complex setups, there's a steeper learning curve.

What is most valuable?

I think rapid development, geospatial coding, using it to connect to multiple data sources are all good selling points for it.

That's important to our company because it enables self-service or data as a service for the end-user community.

How has it helped my organization?

We've streamlined our tool selection. A lot of other groups within the company have used other products, Excel, Power BI, Tableau, and then Lumira came into play. Being an SAP company, we're trying to have people gravitate towards one common tool and platform, so I think it increased the efficiency just from the training perspective, the support perspective, and also just aligning with the overall IT strategy.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room for improvement in connectivity, basic connectivity across data sources or datasets. HANA is a new set that we could connect to, but there are limitations for blending data with multiple sources with HANA.

Same thing on the BW side, there could probably be some improvement with the run time or the ease of connecting and bringing bigger datasets back to the tool itself.

Another connectivity option or issue is, if there's 100 HANA views out there, the end users don't know the technical or the common names to go to. I think giving some more intuitive way to select the connections in use would be a better feature.

I'm rating it a seven because of the deficiencies with connectivity across the BW and HANA platforms. There's different version mismatches that bring down the rating.

With the geospatial coding for latitude and longitude, there are deficiencies if you have a column, a specific one for latitude, and one for longitude, you really need to concatenate it together for the UI or the Lumira application to leverage it. When exporting basic models that you're using to a PDF file, it renders blank PDF pages to us, so that capability was useless.

I've been using this solution for about two years.

We definitely encountered issues with stability. We found a lot of bugs throughout the amount of time that we've been using the product. As we find the bug, it's typically service pack related or related to the source system that you're connecting to. I think that it is a big deal for my company.

We don't really have Lumira in production at this point, we've got a lot of POCs and we're building the hype around the training and the use case of it. I think some of these defects actually have prevented us from getting it into production at this point.

Scalability is more on the configuration side. We've installed the vanilla installation on the tool. Yes, scalability is typically when we get some end users kicking the tires and playing with the system, we find some bugs or defects and then we need to modify or potentially enhance some of the custom or vanilla settings used when it was installed. Put it this way: These are typical issues with BusinessObjects.

On a scale of one to five, with five being outstanding and one being horrible, I'd say technical support rates a four.

I didn't previously use a different solution but other people in the functional team did. The switch was a result of a corporate IT initiative to standardize on one set of tools.

For the basics, if you are connecting to an Excel file, most end users could connect easily. When it comes to connecting to BW, HANA, Universe, something more complex, there's a steeper learning curve.

When you connect to HANA, for example, if you don't have your HANA username and password then you need to go work with a separate team potentially to go get that. An end user would typically would know the channels or the resources to work with. However, I can see a scenario where you connect to HANA but also want to blend that with an Excel file. That feature functionality doesn't seem to be incorporated with the current release of Lumira that we have.

Pushing to the BI platform when we did our install in our sandbox dev and quality environment, we ran into multiple issues with the install. I worked SAP on some switches and we still don't have it fully resolved.

It's cool that you can download a 30-day trial. I'd like to see that maybe more of an extended trial.