SAP NetWeaver BPM [EOL] Review

Integrates well with other SAP products but its dependency on SAP Portal is a drawback

What is most valuable?

If you are working in SAP projects, SAP BPM is a good fit. It has a lot of useful integrations with other SAP products like the ERP. Also, the solution comes with some pretty nice tools to create business rules, monitoring, and integration.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm a software implementer. We don't use SAP BPM in our organization but I can tell that the companies in which we implemented SAP BPM found a lot of benefits, mainly in processes that span across different suites, like ERP and SRM or CRM. With SAP BPM you can fill the gaps and avoid using manual procedures.

What needs improvement?

I think that BPM is a tool that still has lot of opportunities to improve. Perhaps integration with other solutions. Also, it has a strong dependency on SAP Portal (that by today's standards is outdated).

I have used SAP BPM for two years.

As with many SAP solutions you need different roles and skills. And in terms of stability and scalability, you need strong BASIS skills to tune the installation.

Long running workflows could bring issues when you have an increasing number of instances running in parallel. I think most solutions of this type suffer from the same issue.

There is a lot of information on SDN. For most of the issues we had, the solution was in SDN.

The setup is not easy as you need a BASIS with experience setting a Java stack.

No comments (I don't know about the pricing of this tool).

No comments.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a BPM solution to integrate SAP processes, this solution is a good fit. If you are looking for a more general solution perhaps you should look to other vendors. Business rules is not the most solid solution in the market, and the use of SAP Portal for some use cases could be a showstopper.

v7.3
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: SAP Partner.
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, IBM, Camunda and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.