SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL] Review

SAP MDM provides flexible data modeling , efficient data deduplication and capable data harmonization capabilities.Together with SAP BPM it provides an efficient solution.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility in data modeling is one of the most valuable feature of this product as it gives numerous options to design customized data models. This helps integrate various SAP and Non-SAP solutions in an efficient way.

Strong content consolidation capability. In our experience we have found that duplicate checks and rules give impressive results.We have language dependent strategies which match data based on language based content.This feature not only helped us de-duplicate efficiently but also has improved data quality,and provides better reports.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP NetWeaver MDM together with SAP BPM provides a complete solution for Master data governance, Master Data Consolidation and Master Data Management.

For example, before MDM implementation the supplier MDM was done in various desperate systems, there was scope of increase in transparency, data governance, duplicate checks, and data standardization.

With implementation of a supplier management solution using SAP NetWeaver MDM we got a central system which became single source of golden record, quality checks, and duplicate checks are imposed. This master data then gets replicated to various desperate systems. The data being created/loaded always follows the standards and has to undergo set of approvals.This enabled us the following -

1. Improved analytics
  2. Improved transparency - who did what
  3. Improved data quality
  4. Brought desperate systems in sync
  5. Adherence to compliance

What needs improvement?

1. Match and merge performance and features - with more data volume the performance level goes severely down. Also the transformations cannot be mass downloaded or mass uploaded, as this leads to painfully pasting them one by one. No de-merge feature is also a point which will help going back to previous state after a wrong merge is done.
  2. Change tracking - This is one tool which lacks and ease of use details which SAP ECC users are really used to.It is not user friendly,performance really goes down sharply as data growth happens.

I would like to see improvement in the match and merge performance and I would also appreciate it if SAP can suggest certain ready to use usage and maintenance guides on change tracking. Currently there's only SAP notes and other documents are available but they are suggestive and leave plenty to be said.

I've used SAP MDM for a total of nine and a half years. Three years of v5.5 and six and half on v7.1 SP04 through SP13.

Stability became an issue after certain point.The system became too busy to respond during periods of peak load and even crashed on some occasions.

6/10.

6/10.

It wasn't complex.

We implemented the solution through a combination of Vendor and in-house team. My advice would be to not go ahead implementing the solution without knowing the restrictions the tool has.This is because most SAP products have different installation and maintenance requirements.

I also evaluated RAMIS MDM product along.

What other advice do I have?

We implemented the solution through a combination of a vendor and in-house team. My advice would be to not go ahead implementing the solution without knowing the restrictions the tool has.This is because it is different that most SAP Products in installation and maintenance.