SAP Portfolio and Project Management Review
Can be used for different business units such as IT, finance, and R&D.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Easy initiative management
  • Easy stage-gate methodology
  • Follows up from beginning to end of an initiative or a project element
  • Integrates with other SAP solutions
  • Traces between initiatives and projects without losing any data
  • Gets information about finance and capacity planning
  • Can be used for different business units such as IT, finance, and R&D

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces the time spent on the valuation by 40%. You can access the information without any third-party solutions. This is all done in the initiative.

Users ask these questions every day:

• How are things going with my initiatives?
  • What is happening to them?

With this tool, you can:

• Identify problems in project execution, risk management, and scope changes.
  • Receive clear reports from different objects.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be improved by:

• Initiative and item prioritization
  • More standardized reports
  • Standard workflow for stage-gates or decision points
  • Complete status schema for all objects
  • More flexibility to refer budget into financial planning

I would also like them to include "consulting solutions" into the standard functionality. Most of the complex solutions of SAP PPM come from "consulting solutions" that are implemented as an additional feature with a fixed price. This cannot happen anymore. Functionality has to be placed into the standard solution in order to compete with other PPM solutions.

In addition, this solution can be improved by using it along with different SAP solutions, such as with the SAP PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) platform product. When using SAP PLM with SAP PPM, you can improve any business process and give support to all areas.

We have used this solution for six years.

I did not encounter any important scalability issues. There were some functionality issues, but the new version has solved a lot of them.

I would give technical support the highest possible rating.

My company previously used SAP Project System (PS) without any success.

The initial support package of version 5.0 has some setup difficulties.

The pricing and licensing are typical of SAP products. SAP PPM has an RDS solution with a fixed scope and a low price.

There are other SAP solutions, such as SAP Commercial Project Management (CPM) for client projects. There are other types of PPM software from different companies, but only SAP PPM integrates with other SAP solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The SAP PPM software is a very complete solution. You need to read about it and investigate all of the processes so you can get the most service from your implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a SAP Partner and we give assessments of different software and technology solutions.
1 visitor found this review helpful