SAP PowerDesigner Review

Complete, robust, and has a very fast reverse engineering process

What is our primary use case?

We were reverse-engineering several databases and doing comparisons.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a very fast reverse engineering process. It does a very expansive comparison.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, the pricing is a bit high.

I didn't investigate whether we could run business process simulations like you can do with erwin's process modeling tool. I know you can do process modeling in PowerDesigner. I just don't know if you could run simulations of the process.

I used SAP PowerDesigner for a year.

It is very stable.

It didn't seem to really need much extendability. For our features, it covered everything out of the box.

There was only one user for this solution, a data architect.

We did not require any staff for the deployment or maintenance.

I did not use technical support.

Before PowerDesigner we were using IDERA and erwin. PowerDesigner was better than IDERA, but it's obviously a lot more expensive, so IDERA could be a better value.

With PowerDesigner, I had the whole studio. I had the business process solution. With IDERA there are separate downloads and everything so I only used the data modeling studio.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around one hour.

I did the deployment myself.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the money for it, buy it. If you were budgeted, it would be a worthwhile investment.

I would rate PowerDesigner an eight out of ten. It is very complete and robust. If you're an SAP shop, without question you'd want to use it because you can generate your ETL code as well. That also separates conceptual, logical, and physical modeling really well. I don't know if it's as complete though as erwin's solution. But erwin's solution is evolving and getting better. PowerDesigner has some room to improve, but it's still pretty solid.

More SAP PowerDesigner reviews from users
...who compared it with erwin Data Modeler (DM)