SAP PowerDesigner Review

A pragmatic tool that's easy to use and offers good data modeling

What is our primary use case?

Often, a customer will want to migrate from another solution onto PowerDesigner. That's how I primarily use the solution: migrating things over to this solution.

We use it to set up the conceptual model. From there, we will take the physical model, where we can start the different DDLs. We will use it to generate the DDLs for the database teams to implement it.

What is most valuable?

The generational DDLs and the graphics are the solution's most valuable aspects.

The solution is a very pragmatic tool. It's quite easy to use.

The solution is very good for data modeling on a conceptual and physical level.

There are a lot of design tools that are very complicated to use, and customers will not use them in detail. I find the solution to be one of the best tools in the range.

What needs improvement?

I don't know of any features the solution is lacking.

It would be helpful if there were glossary, catalog and governance tools. It would help make it a true end-to-end product.

I've been using the solution for a while. When I use the solution, the need to use it is driven more from the customer's own needs and not from my own.

I haven't had any feedback from clients that would make me believe that there are stability issues.

I don't have any direct experience with scaling the solution. It's not something that I handle.

We've never contacted SAP's technical support. I don't have any direct experience with them.

We occasionally do migrations from MEGA HOPEX to PowerDesigner.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not complex at all.

However, it depends on how big your environment is. It's difficult, but approximately in one week, you can start creating the capabilities and then it depends on what you want to achieve.

The problem for the migration part is the setup of the conceptual models and the physical models. If you do the modeling between the conceptual and the physical from a migration point of view, then it becomes more complex because you have the generation of internal keys.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with SAP. We prefer to keep our relationship independent and have no direct relationships with them at the moment.

It's certainly a good strategy to migrate to this solution from another tool, but I wouldn't recommend anyone start using it by trying out a trial-and-error strategy. An organization must think first about the migration strategy if they already have a tool and want to migrate before they start. A trial and error approach will waste a lot of time.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's easy to use and you can get good pictures out of it.