SAP Process Orchestration Review

Enterprise Service Bus for application integration and data transformation

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 stances of the SAP PO 7.5 SP14 Java only and it is installed on-premise using IBM Hardware to support our on-premise SAP Applications and an instance installed on AWS to integrate our cloud application with other cloud application. We use the solution for application integration and transforming of data. Decoupling of systems is a feature of SAP PO that allows us to integrate systems without having to care about the data formats , communication protocols or security features of other systems on the bus. As a retailer, all our transnational data need to feed into our SAP system and visa versa to non - SAP systems . Example of this, would be raw point of sale data from the POS system to convert to XMLs and integrate it into the SAP system. We have a team of six developers that does development and support.Support issues are related to data and connectivity . Extrapolation data from other application systems are key to the proactive scaling of the system . We have built close to 700 Integration scenarios and process on average 1.2 m transaction per day.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of the solution are all the connectors. I can connect to any environment, anywhere in the world. I can convert any message or data type. It has great monitoring tools and has its own alert framework as well. The really nice thing is that there's a big community and a lot of support. There's a clear roadmap and a vision from the provider as well so they keep you updated. and always notify us of the latest technologies. You have an indication of where the industry is moving and the direction we should take. They've never failed us.

What needs improvement?

The company has come out with a new version, SAP Cloud Integrator, which is not as good as the older version. They are trying to get us to move over to that even though the application is not ready yet. Technology changes and more people are going to micro services and API management tools, which doesn't provide all the functions that the project orchestration environment has. They have a great product but now they're moving into something new and discontinuing the old product. The community is not happy and I think SAP should listen to their clients, offer continuing support for the old product while improving the new.

I think they could work on simplification. There is a business process modeling tool that they have besides the integration side where you could have one point connected, one system, one source to a target system, but they have the process modeling tool, which basically allows you to connect users to each other. You can connect users within a system and then they can connect that system to another system and get a result. It's like an orchestration, a workflow. I think all of that could be simplified.

I've been using this solution for about 15 years. Of course, there have been many changes and we've had numerous upgrades over that time.

This solution is one of the most stable integration SAP products that you could possibly have. Everybody in our organization agrees with that. The only time the system is down is when we carry out maintenance or upgrades. This is a very robust solution, there are no glitches or crashes.

This is a very scalable solution. We can add additional server loads, server nodes. If I have web services that I'm calling and those web services get an additional 100,000 calls, I can easily do a simple config on my side to allow that additional data to come through.

Technical support is fantastic. We've had some specific requirements for our situation and SAP basically did the developing for us and then the deployment. They're always willing to assist in that respect.

If I consider the fact that I'm able to train someone within three months to do very straightforward development, integration development, then I think it's very straightforward. An organization using this solution for the first time they would need to get the vendor to assist with implementation. Deployment would probably take about a day.

What other advice do I have?

For any enterprise services, if you want to centralize your integration and have one central place that you move data through, instead of having all these various different connections, running all over the show, then this would be the system to use. You can easily set governance policies, see rules, and manage all connections in and out of your environment, especially from a security point of view. It's a great integration tool and a wonderful idea.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)

7.5
More SAP Process Orchestration reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Mule Anypoint Platform
Learn what your peers think about SAP Process Orchestration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.