SAP Process Orchestration Review

Seamless integration with backend systems, but it needs to be more flexible

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP Process Orchestration to connect our on-premises safety banking systems. In the middle, we have another layer called SAP POL, which is the Process Object layer. That builds the actual orchestration and persistence of data with respect to the business objects. This is in case anything fails across multiple steps.

For example, if we have seven steps and the process fails in the third step, we need to start processing from the point of failure, rather than from step one. So, there is a primary user for the process orchestration, which is the SAP POL.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless integration with backend systems.

What needs improvement?

SAP has decided to move everything to the cloud, which means that we have to invest more. New investments would include things like redevelopment and data transfer. In general, we are not satisfied with the roadmap.

I would like to see more flexibility. It does not have all of the industry-standard solutions available in PO and it is not plug and play, so we have to do a lot of development.

We have been using SAP Process Orchestration for about nine years.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to SAP Process Orchestration but we are considering moving to something new, like Mulesoft.

SAP is doing some arm-twisting, saying that they are ending the support for this product and that we have to move to a cloud-based platform. This means that we have to redo all of our on-premises development and transition to the cloud. There are some small solutions that we can migrate but we are not convinced that this is the only way to go. This is the reason that we are researching alternatives.

The pricing for this solution is fine.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I'm not sure what advice I would give to those people who are researching this type of solution. I am looking at other products because I want to see how good they are. It may turn out that SAP Process Orchestration is still much better, which means that I would continue with it. There are pros and cons with all vendors, so it may not be worth switching if you are already using this.

At this point, I am generally satisfied with SAP, but the roadmap is something that is bothering us.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More SAP Process Orchestration reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Mule Anypoint Platform
Learn what your peers think about SAP Process Orchestration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.