SAS Activity-Based Management Review
ABM is able to calculate how costs are split and added. However, changes in the model were not easy as some user constraints were not logical.

Valuable Features:

The calculation ability because when you make Activity Based cost models, you need to be able to calculate the distributed cost for each activity. The model consists of several layers and ABM is able to calculate how costs are split and added.

This task is too advanced for Excel and it needs a specific system. We have used ABM to make the calculations for us, but we extract the data and present it using cubes on an MS analysis server.

Improvements to My Organization:

The product allows us to calculate the distributed cost across activities

Room for Improvement:

The usability needs to be improved but bear in mind that we did not have the latest update. Changes in the model were not easy through ABM as some user constraints were not logical. For example, the default layout couldn't be changed, so each user had to switch the layout whenever they opened a model.

Use of Solution:

The company have used it for 10 years of which I have been working with it for 4 years.

Stability Issues:

It seems like the cache is not emptied, so eventually the system needs a reboot.

Implementation Team:

We had SAS Institute assist with the implementation.

Other Advice:

Consider self development.  Also, as we only use ABM for calculating distributed costs, we are considering programming that part into the SQL server.