SAS Data Management Review

For the amount of features that we use, the licensing is expensive.

What is most valuable?

The main purpose for buying this product was to give our business users that have technical skills a tool where they can easily build jobs/queries against our DWH. The interface for building these jobs is very user friendly and the learning curve for using it is very good.

How has it helped my organization?

By having our business users using this product, they became more independent and the amount of requests that they issue for the technical team is considerably lower.

What needs improvement?

For the amount of features that we use, the licensing is expensive.

Although the interface is very user friendly, there are a few options that are hidden inside the jobs properties and the users have difficulty understanding and finding them. The user guide doesn’t provide all the information needed.

Another point is regarding the database connections. These connections must be independently set in each client and server. This type of definition should be centralized.

DataFlux dfPower Studio 8.2

DataFlux Data Integration Server 8.2

Deployment was very smooth. The only issue encountered was regarding the email configuration. The installation guide didn’t have much information and our firewall was blocking the mails.

No. After deploying the product and after an initial period of testing to find the correct configuration properties, everything runs smoothly.

• In the server, from time to time, depending of the type of job the users submit to the server, we have to increase the amount of memory in the server. However, we have a limited number of users that can deploy jobs to the server.
  • The desktop client, when running a job, consumes resources of the client machine and of the database being accessed. This being said, the scalability depends of the user machine and database where the information is stored.
  • Like many others tools that provide the same functionality, in order to perform the required analysis, the data must be transferred to the product and this step consumes time (network) and resources (memory and cpu). When the amount of data is very large (millions) the amount of time and resources is considerable high so the way to go is to analyze data samples and extrapolate from there.

Customer Service: After becoming a SAS Company the customer service has improved.Technical Support: From our experience, the technical support has room for improvement. There aren’t many experts using this tool and the knowledge base that we find online and in the SAS forums is very small.

Previously our business users would have to write complex SQL or issue requests to the technical team in order to get the information needed. They find it much easier using the Dataflux product to access the information stored in the database for the type of analyses they have to do on day to day basis.

The installation is very straightforward. Installing is not complex but the initial setup could take some time. There aren’t any guidelines or wizards that we can follow in order to find the best configuration based on infrastructure.

It was in-house. The vendor team was a proxy for getting support from DataFlux company.

SAS Integration and explore the standardization capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

If they are looking for a profiling and data quality tool you should consider Dataflux. However you should do a trial first to understand which features are useful and if those compensate the costly licensing.
More SAS Data Management reviews from users