SAS Enterprise Guide Review

Easy to extend, stable, has a lot of functionalities, and doesn't require coding skills

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using this solution for testing purposes. I am working for a pharmaceutical company in Belgium, and we are building a data warehouse by using SAS Data Integration Studio, and we are using SAS Enterprise Guide to test our development. We are building Enterprise Guide projects by using query builder, filters, and other things. We have also built stored procedures. Sometimes, we also write SAS base code to perform unit tests after development and to do some sanity checks to respond to UAT questions. Overall, we are using the majority of functionalities of SAS Enterprise Guide.

How has it helped my organization?

A client has used SAS Enterprise Guide to build an ETL process that involves extracting and transforming the data and producing reports. These reports are very crucial and useful for their monthly and daily activities. By using SAS Enterprise Guide, they are able to deal with end-to-end processes for their business.

What is most valuable?

Filter and sort query builder is valuable. The ability to do advanced SAS programming is also a useful feature because we can do anything by using Enterprise Guide.

It has a lot of functionalities. We can build ETL processes. There are clients who are using SAS Enterprise Guide to build ETL processes. They have a SAS-based program that is scheduled to run at a certain frequency to produce some reports for the business. It is a very useful tool for ETL unit tests and functional tests. You can also do data science projects in SAS Enterprise Guide by using different statistics. During my MBA, we used SAS Enterprise Guide for our statistic course.

To query the data, there are many solutions such as SQL, but these tools are only a part of the integration. They are only useful for querying the data and require knowledge of SQL, so they are not suitable for business users. SAS Enterprise Guide can be very easily used by business users to filter and sort the data and build queries. It is not necessary to have coding skills to use SAS Enterprise Guide. For this reason, it is attractive for businesses.

What needs improvement?

Our data warehouse is built on the Netezza database. We have SAS BI, and we populate the Netezza database. When we have tables with, for example, a hundred million rows in Netezza, SAS Enterprise Guide doesn't work. It doesn't return any results. It works for around 30 to 40 million rows, but it is not working for anything more than that. This issue is only with the Netezza database. With Oracle, it is quite good. They can improve its performance with the Netezza database.

There should be one unique tool that includes SAS Data Integration Studio and SAS Enterprise Guide for more integration capabilities. With SAS Enterprise Guide, it is not possible to create connections and libraries and build transformations that can be used for other projects. This tool should have all capabilities that SAS Enterprise Guide does not have. Such a tool would be perfect because it will be used by developers and business users at the same time.

In addition to the integration capabilities, they should also provide more deployment capabilities. There should be an option to easily create SAS packages and export them from one environment to another. There could also be a possibility to connect with R and Python. Open-source tools are hot in the market nowadays, and it would be good to extend its capabilities.

I have been using this solution since 2005. It has been almost 16 years.

It is very stable.

It is easy to extend for fast data integration functionalities. We have around 1,000 users. They are developers, business analysts, and project managers.

In terms of usage, my clients don't have any plans to expand its usage.

They are responsive and very good. They respond within a day of creating a ticket.

It is not quite easy to deploy. When we worked on the SAS migration project, the migration to Enterprise Guide was quite difficult. The deployment duration depends on the project. Generally, it would take a few days to solve all the issues.

For the SAS migration project, we worked with the SAS Belgium team. With their help, it was okay, but it should be easier.

In general, SAS has high prices, which is a reason why some clients don't use SAS solutions. The licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a very good tool for outputs from different domains, such as ETL reporting, data science, etc. It would be good to bring more functionalities similar to Data Integration Studio so that we have one single tool.

I would rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.

9.4
More SAS Enterprise Guide reviews from users
...who compared it with Alteryx
Learn what your peers think about SAS Enterprise Guide. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.