SAS Enterprise Guide Review

It Is a Reliable Program That Consistently Performs Well When It Comes to Manipulating Large Datasets

What is our primary use case?

We use SAS EG to manipulate large datasets and prepare them for actuarial analysis with other programs, as well as ad hoc analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

SAS EG is a reliable program that consistently performs well when it comes to manipulating large datasets. Furthermore, the process flow and code wizards help keep things well organized so that it's easy to pass on projects to other analysts.

What is most valuable?

As discussed above, the process flow and code wizards are very valuable as they allow any analyst, even those totally new to SAS, to quickly learn about new projects and get up to speed so that they can start working with it as fast as possible. The base SAS functionality of SAS EG delivers when it comes to consistently handling large datasets and, for the most part, it's not too difficult to write custom code to do whatever you want to do with your data. If things are ever too much, SAS's technical support team is easy to contact and incredibly helpful with any problem.

What needs improvement?

I realize that this is fairly impractical as a request, given how SAS EG is programmed, but I'd love it to be as quick as base SAS for simpler data queries. The intention of SAS EG is that the SAS commands are executed on a server, so this isn't a very fair comment to make. I do find the online documentation can, at times, be a little difficult to read through and understand and sometimes there aren't a lot of examples to help you understand. I'd love for there to be more examples as well as a summary post of some sort on how to go about interpreting the nuances of how the documentation is written.

Less than one year.

SAS has absolutely excellent technical support. I've reached out on multiple occasions for various issues, usually involving how to code something or an error with my code, and always gotten a response back within 24 hours. The technical support staff has always worked with me to ensure that they solve my issue and are very good at what they do; I've never been disappointed, even when asking about an issue with Windows that I was trying to circumvent by going beyond SAS's intended functionality.

SAS has excellent customer service and their products are well tested and perform their intended function, however, they aren't inexpensive. Generally speaking, there is a higher initial cost to obtain a license and then a reduced renewal cost, but you'll be paying the renewal cost for as long as you want to keep using their software programs. SAS is careful to keep pricing a private matter, so it's hard to know if you're paying more or less than other clients for a license. It's also difficult to shop around and price compare as you need to enter into a discussion with a SAS representative to obtain a quote, personalized to you.