SAS Visual Analytics Review

It provides self-service for analytics where other systems are not so intuitive. ​

What is most valuable?

Since it is simply drag and drop it makes data inspection easy. It is the most complete in its fulfilment of the "vision". Mostly used for creating structured reports that can be replicated. It provides self-service for analytics where other systems are not so intuitive.

How has it helped my organization?

The advanced and predictive analytics where disparate time series dataset need to be combined based on irregular time and other, it was not the best tool. It was fairly structured in how it wanted the data. It was however good for visualisation of individual datasets and transformed datasets. Serves a specific purpose in making analytics more "self service". The more advanced calculations etc. are best done elsewhere, specifically time series.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the ability to use Python or other codes within the workflow. The helpdesk was not great. Part of the reason why we went back to open source Python was that their help desk could not solve our problems quickly enough.

We've had it for two months on a trial basis to assist with data visualisation and data quality control.

There were no issues with the deployment.

The LAZR server did not like some datasets being uploaded which was perfectly fine to visualise in something as simple as Excel. Could not figure it out.

3/10

Used Python and R, as well as Rapidminer for data exploration and visualisation. Tried SAS for two months and found it too slow and not flexible enough. Visual Analytics is recommended for a "production" environment and not development. We were heavily focused on development.

Simple to set up. No issues. Fairly intuitive.

Through the vendor. Make sure that the correct level of support is available to work though early issues. So that help desk tickets can be escalated.

Reasonable for what you get. Very good production/operations tool to enable self services of analytics. Not good for development.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know your functional requirements up front. It is a great visualisation tool however if it does not support the tasks and objectives it may not work out for you.