Sauce Labs Review

Enables faster execution of regression tests without having to support the software needed to validate regressions against different devices

What is most valuable?

• Running tests in parallel
  • Sauce Connect Proxy tunnel
  • JIRA/Bamboo plugins

How has it helped my organization?

Enables faster execution of regression tests without having to support/maintain the software needed to validate regressions against different devices, OS, and browsers.

What needs improvement?

Speeds up the time it takes to run end-to-end user interface (UI) tests inside their virtual machines (VMs).

Less than a year.

None yet.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Excellent, so far.

Excellent, so far.

Yes. We built and managed all of our testing infrastructure in-house.

Pretty straightforward, except when you begin working within an enterprise organization that operates nearly all of its web applications behind a firewall. To get our automation running inside Sauce Labs's infrastructure, we first have to install and configure the Sauce Connect Proxy server. The complexity of setting up the tunnel comes mainly from the protocols our organization has for getting the approval to implement Sauce Labs behind our firewall. Explaining the details of the tunnel, why we need Sauce Labs for regression testing, and facilitating the connection between our Server's team with a Sauce Labs technical resource were all fairly complex.

In-house.

It is difficult to estimate at this time.

Start small, even if you are a large-to-enterprise level organization. The setup cost, if you're an enterprise-sized organization, is negligible. Establish a few quick and easy "wins" for one or two product teams. Hold a post-Sauce review with all the stakeholders within each team with the goal of reaching a consensus on whether the product is a good long-term fit. If the answer is yes, then calculate ROI, and if it makes sense, scale up and spend the money so every product that should use Sauce has access and the correct bandwidth.

SmartBear, Perfecto, and Ranorex.