Scale Computing S-Series Review

Easy VM snapshotting, cloning and exporting.

What is most valuable?

Easy VM snapshotting, cloning and exporting. Easy unattended online software upgrades of the host OS (live with all VMs running). Rapid VM creation from Microsoft Server images. Very good tech support.

How has it helped my organization?

Physical server consolidation, VM cloning for easy backups, easy sharing/allocation of compute, storage and RAM resources.

What needs improvement?

Not really sure. Scale does keep improving the features with their regular software upgrades.

Over 18 months.

Nothing very significant

Not yet.

Very good.

Very high. Very responsive, high caliber, knowledgeable about the product, and anxious to do right by the customer.

I have never used VMware or Hyper-V, but the ease of adopting and using Scale's hyperconverged virtualization has been a very favorable experience. This is virtualization without most of the hassle.

Pretty straightforward, though there are definitely some hoops with setting up a dedicated switch for use by the cluster's backplane.

Was implemented in-house with remote help from Scale support team.

Have not determined that.

Pricing was more than fair and licensing is not a separate purchase but is instead included with the converged package.

I considered VMware, but decided against it due to its much greater complexity, high cost, and much steeper learning curve.

What other advice do I have?

Some VMware and Hyper-V images cannot be easily installed on Scale, though with conversion tools (e.g. QEMU), many of them can.