ScaleIO [EOL] Review

Meets our customers' needs but they should move towards high-level scaling

What is our primary use case?

Based on customer needs we sell different solutions as consultants. It is deployed as a data center solution to enhance storage and performance.

What is most valuable?

I do not have much information on the technical front. We use this product when it meets a customer's needs for solutions to business requirements in their data centers. I sell this product to meet customer requirements.

What needs improvement?

I the product already has scalability features, but in terms of size maybe they could do more to work with parent storage and move to high-level scaling. That area, I feel, is a place where there could be some more options in this solution. It would be a way to improve the scalability in another direction, maybe options to scale out rather than just up.

So far we have done very few installations. So maybe in the coming days, weeks and months, we would be able to come up with some additional features that are needed, but right now the product has the competitive features that our clients need.

We only began using the Dell ScaleIO solution (rebranded from VxFlex OS) only recently, over this last year.

So far, we have not faced any particular issues with the stability of the product. We have only seen some very small issues and other glitches. Other than these small issues that we were able to resolve, there have been no complexities so far in the aspect of the stability of the product.

I think ScaleIO already has some features for scalability as it is part of the reason for the product. But in terms of size, maybe they should try to address parent storage. In that area, they need to have more options.

We have done, I think, only two implementations so far. There are some more going on, but these are only in the discovery phase. In the coming year, I expect that we will pick up more clients who will be implementing this product as a solution.

The size of the user group of one of the implementations is about 100 plus users, and the other one is somewhere between 100 to 150 plus on a team. The second is only a little larger. Scalability per user does not seem to be much of an issue.

We have been in touch with the technical support fairly frequently. It is really not for major issues. They are very good and they are always supportive. We are quite satisfied with the support team. No problem there at all.

We have used other products from other vendors in the same category. We are using mostly Dell products for the storage and servers unless a customer comes specifically demanding another brand. Otherwise, we are pushing the Dell products. Other than that, another brand we might recommend is Cisco ACS. This is based on customer needs only.

We use these products so that we do not create too much complication for ourselves and can best serve our clients. Comparing other products that are competing with Dell EMC (Enhanced Memory Controller), Dell seems to us to always come out on the high-side.

The product is still really somewhat new to us, so the people doing the installations are still gaining experience. It will take some more time for us to get our confidence with the product to truly be at the expert level. But so far we have not faced any major challenges. We have been supported by the OEM itself. So we do not find any major complexity with installing it. If we did, we have full support.

So we need more time to get to the expert level. After we have done multiple implementations and supported them over time, we will have that extra level of knowledge from working with the product in multiple environments with varied architectures. We can not get this just from testing and use in our own environment alone.

In our cases with current clients, it has taken extra time to implement and deploy because of client limitations. We have to take some time in the stage of planning with the clients and going through the process correctly so they divulge what they really need and we know how to implement the solution correctly to satisfy that. Implementation is not so simple as I go there and install it. We will have to work with the migration also and do proper planning to achieve the minimum downtime. A lot of the length of time needed for deployment is getting the information we need from the customer. If the process with the client were more straightforward and they knew already what they had to supply to us, the deployment will take much less time instead of spending a lot of time in discovery. The implementation has been taking almost a quarter (three months), because of the complexity.

Any brand we have had the opportunity to evaluate is potentially something that we can use. We can choose from almost all major brands, like Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel, Fortinet — all of the available products that we evaluate are possibilities.

What other advice do I have?

We have come across only two use cases. We are recommending Dell because of the features. We try to convince the customers when meeting with them to move over to Dell as a newer, better solution compared to what they might already have. Of course, this is while we show them the benefits of everything. We clarifying the complexity of usage of other products, and the ease-of-use of the Dell solution. Compared to the other solutions, we basically explain to them why this is a better choice.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate ScaleIO overall at around six to seven. It is closer to a seven.