ScaleIO Review
They know how to present important data, including data flow and each drive's IOPS/bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

I just worry about capacity; performance is never a problem.

What is most valuable?

The ScaleIO UI: EMC has been working with storage for a long time. Therefore, they know how to clearly present any important data, including data flow and each drive's IOPS/bandwidth; and allow the user to easily monitor bottlenecks and problems, especially the rebuild and rebalance status of child objects. It controls them, as well as maintaining them well.

What needs improvement?

If they could introduce a write cache feature, the product would be perfect overall.

We have not encountered any stability issues. Meta Data Manager (MDM) is a lightweight process in version 2.0 . The design of MDM totally considers the chance for data loss because the MDM group can be extended to 10 roles to protect the meta data.

Actually, ScaleIO has a limitation of 1000 nodes. We only built up 20 nodes as SDS; that's enough for us.

There are rich reviews, articles and people who are expert and full of passion to solve your problems in their forum.

We previously used vSAN.

We switched because ScaleIO is a pioneer in all-flash; therefore, I applied that in our lab.

First, you should know the concept of data flow in your product so that setup is not a big deal. Then, you should understand the structure of ScaleIO; that is useful for installation.

We implemented by ourselves.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Maybe they could support more data types. That way, it would be like setting a gateway to convert any data you want (file or object).

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an OEM partner.

1 Comment

Rob SteeleConsultantTOP 20

I don't see how a write cache would increase performance with ScaleIO, I love ScaleIO because no cache is needed. The ScaleIO architecture is fast as is and adding cache only complicates the architecture.

31 October 17