ScaleIO Review

Automatic rebalancing is the feature saving administration time

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as the primary virtualization storage (both for internal corporate users and external customers) for VMware and Hyper-V virtualization platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

The idea was born from pre-sales requests for storage resources. The primary goal was to have a storage solution where you do not have to invest a large amount of money just to start, and have idle resources, yet have a locally supported enterprise solution on commodity hardware. In other words, have a pay-as-you-grow, horizontally scaled solution, where front-end controllers are not the bottleneck.

What is most valuable?

Automatic rebalancing is the feature saving administration time, and also auto rebuilding. Enterprise storage IOPS limiting is also good.

What needs improvement?

• Ecosystem around the product: There is no built-in system for viewing history data, such as volume IOPS. We have to provide graphing by Prometheus and Grafana, which would be a good new feature in ScaleIO
  • The next good new feature would be moving volumes between different storage pools, e.g., from a SAS pool to a SSD pool.
  • It would be nice to set minimum IOPS per volume, besides just the maximum, to be able to satisfy this demand from customers out-of-the-box, not by calculating number of disks, etc.
  • It would be nice to have better integration with monitoring and other vendor provisioning and orchestration tools. I am aware that this is a hard to achieve task, where it is necessary for product not to be proprietary and to become industry standard.