Scality RING8 Review

Low cost storage system that has good support

What is our primary use case?

We used Scality during the capacity extension.

What is most valuable?

I think it's the economic factor. This solution has the lowest cost for storage systems.

What needs improvement?

If I had to choose a new aspect for the system, it would be the rebalancing. The ease of use during capacity upgrades would be the most important improvement. I don't know if they manage it better right now or not, but it was really horrible to extend capacity on Scality at the time that I used it.

When you add new servers in the node or ring, Scality does rebalancing to split the workload across all the nodes and servers. It moves the data from one server to another.

I did a backup for someone else, so I only have one month of experience with Scality. I did the project though and from there I just followed up with the associate or management of the project.

This solution is stability.

When we used this solution in 2015, it was not scalable at all. I don't know if they have improved on that, but at the time, scalability was just horrible.

It's used within Orange in France, which handles petabytes of data. I don't know exactly how much it was, but I think we are talking about five, or even more than that. When I worked on this project, it was during migration. It is definitely getting higher and higher in terms of capacity that you can use.

Scality's technical support team is good.

I'm starting to work on a project now with ScaleIO. The engineering team suggests migrating to Red Hat Ceph. I don't know yet what their reasons are, but that was the information I got two weeks ago. I am now starting to look for information comparing the products. For the project I'm working on now, we need block storage, so Scality is not an option in this case. Scality is used for object storage and here we are talking about another solution for block storage. Today we are using ScaleIO, which engineering recommends. It's a common thing to migrate to Red Hat Ceph.

My experience in 2015 was that it was not easy. Each time we needed to get the Scality professional services to help us at that time.

What other advice do I have?

I think I would recommend Scality but there is another solution that I'm going to dig into more, which is OpenIO. Right now for new projects, I don't know yet if I'm going to recommend Scality or OpenIO. Most probably OpenIO, but it's not necessarily based on technical features. It's because we have a commercial agreement with OpenIO.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

More Scality RING8 reviews from users