SCOM Review

Valuable features include availability and dashboards but reports need to be improved

What is most valuable?

Availability, Performance and Application Monitoring, Dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

We were supporting a bank infrastructure using SCOM, and their application availability improved a lot as we had the real time monitoring of the applications due to which application issues were fixed before the end user comes up and complains.

What needs improvement?

Too small of a scope in reports, need to improve a lot.

No, we have been using SCOM only as it has given satisfactory results.

Initial setup is quite simple, you need to be aware of the prerequisites which are required to start the deployment. Deployment is straightforward as we have the application installer available, whenever any failure is there, resolution is shown along with the results. The sizing tool is always available whenever planing for the hardware recommendations.

Most of the time we implement in house and reach out to experts in our organization in case any assistance is required.

Please go through the documentation once, which is available on the Microsoft Website- Technet to understand what SCOM actually is. It looks like a single console, but very deep and interesting to learn. You can end up becoming SCOM Admin, SCOM MP Author etc. Go for virtual labs before implementing SCOM which are available on Microsoft technet.

There were many- IBM Tivoli, CA products, but the best came out to be SCOM for a number of reasons.
More SCOM reviews from users