SCOM Review

It allows you to go from firefighting mode to a more proactive stance. SCOM agents have a heavy footprint.

Valuable Features

• Ease of deployment capability
  • Role-based automatic monitoring threshold deployment via MP

Improvements to My Organization

We used SCOM as our centralized pane of glass. We had other tools that were also directed to SCOM. Our NOC analysts were able to quickly see alerts and resolve. SCOM was able to monitor our Windows environment very well.

SCOM will allow you to go from firefighting mode to a more proactive stance when finding issues.

Room for Improvement

SCOM agents have a heavy footprint. Would like a lighter, more-efficient footprint. It takes a developer’s mindset to fully utilize SCOM’s potential. I would like easier deployment of MP and custom monitors.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for five years.

We had no issue during deployment and SCOM was pretty stable. We did run into a database limitation that brought us down every day for a week until Microsoft isolated the issue. Once they sent us a hot fix, we were up and running with no issues.

I rate technical support 7/10.

Setup was straightforward, not hard at all.

Implementation Team

We installed SCOM with an in-house team. If you have a good relationship with Microsoft, they will have chalk talk conversations with you and tell what their best practice would be. After we had these talks, we installed and deployed ourselves.

Other Solutions Considered

We also evaluated HP OpenView, Zenoss, SolarWinds, and CA UIM.

Other Advice

SCOM works well for Windows, but if you need a broader solution and have a heterogeneous environment, SCOM is lacking.