SCSM Review

The out-of-the-box SCSM Self-Service portal is almost useless, but there are several automated processes through the tool we perform.

What is most valuable?

The Separate Activity management module is really helpful in view of the complexity of the tasks (incidents and change requests) we perform daily.

How has it helped my organization?

There are several automated processes through the tool we perform (IM, SRF, CM, activity management). And the routine of emails, calls and verbal approaches are directed to the tool specially customized to our needs.

Improved time management, all the details logged (nothing missed), roles and responsibilities in tool are set according to policy/procedure.

What needs improvement?

Out-of-the-box SCSM Self-Service portal is almost useless. You can research third party products that will allow you to use more features of SCSM via a web self service portal as well.

Also, the lack of a mobile version is disappointing.

I've used it for approximately one year.

Sometimes the SCSM console on a FAT client hangs.

The number of console connections should be not 50 per management server (as per Microsoft advice) but less than 40 due to performance issues.

6/10 - the overall Microsoft technical support is surely higher, but taking into consideration that any incident that affects business continuity will take a week or to be solved because of a lack of SCSM experts severely takes something away.

I didn’t choose SCSM, but was forced to work with it.

Previously, I used two in-house developed tools, ManageEngine and CA Service Desk Manager.

We followed Microsoft's advice, and it was straightforward.

It was implemented in-house and the only valuable advise is to plan, again plan then do, check and then act. You need to know how many users, what roles, what services, SLAs, tiers, members, and distribution lists because SCSM works with AD DL`s for allocating roles.

What other advice do I have?

Look around as there are a lot of better solutions!