SCSM Review

Easy to learn and use, and integrates well with other Microsoft products

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers.

I have used 2012, 2015, and 2019 versions of this solution and have seen all of the different features. I am quite sure that I can do almost anything that is available in the suite, but I primarily generate customized reports.

What is most valuable?

SCSM is easy to learn because all of the material, including training videos, can be found online. When I went for training on this solution, I found it easy to learn.

SCSM integrates well with other Microsoft solutions.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other services in Azure is needed because everything is moving from on-premises to the cloud, and as an integrator, we have to help our clients with the migration. I would also like to see integration with open-source solutions allowed. In general, we would like to have the integration process made simpler.

Technical support can be improved.

I am been using Microsoft System Center Service Manager for six years.

With respect to stability, it depends on whether the solution is deployed on-premises or in the cloud. Microsoft is dropping some of the other solutions, like SCOM. This has some people worried that Microsoft will drop all of the on-premises solutions and force them to go to the cloud. This would be a big problem for some people.

Scaling SCSM is very easy. When I looked at different solutions that work similarly, I realized that SCSM is comparably easy to deploy.

Our customers are varied in size and SCSM is suitable for companies of all sizes. We have implemented this solution for banks and big companies, as well as for small and growing companies. We will go on with the deployment if the customer has sufficient demand and they can pay the licensing fees.

The first time that I contacted technical support is when I was integrating with InTune, in a cloud-based deployment. I have found that the level of support is the same that I can do for myself, so many times, I visit the site to get information. Because support cannot always give me what I need, I often do not have time to call them. When I search through the site, I get the information I need.

The main difference between SCSM and similar solutions is integration. Microsoft can seamlessly integrate with all of the other solutions. There are some products that also integrate well, but it requires somebody with experience to implement it.

For anybody who has the training, this is an easy solution to set up.

When I first deployed this solution, it took me about five days. The reason it took this length of time is that I was integrating with WSUS, and it is a separate server so there are a lot of patches that need to be done.

In other cases, the initial setup is more straightforward.

We implement this solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

Some customers have integrated this solution with InTune to manage the web part of it.

The initial concept of SCSM was very nice, but after the 2012 version, they have been changing it and integrating it with the cloud. Major changes have been happening about every two years. As a system integrator, we are liaising with them to discuss ideas about what customers want and in what direction they are moving.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to be sure about what it is they need and what problem they are trying to solve. Sometimes when we sit with a customer and analyze what they need, we find that they do not require a lot of the features that are available. However, even when the whole solution is deployed, the customer may be unsatisfied if the intended goal is not achieved. This is why I advise customers to know exactly what it is they would like to do.

System Center Service Manager is a good product, and it is very easy to use. If Microsoft packaged this solution in a better way then people would appreciate it more.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.