Scylla Review

A high-speed solution for data ingestion

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for ingesting data for the Internet of things. It gets a lot of data points per second, although, I'm not allowed to disclose how much exactly.

Nobody uses the database directly. They use their IoT platform applications. I am not sure how many people are actually accessing it, but they also include their own clients who are accessing the IoT platform node.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a matter of data ingestion. My client managed thousands of different devices sending thousands of data points per second. They're happy with the fact that the data is getting inside very quickly and they can do analysis on it quickly given the speed of Scylla.

What is most valuable?

We really appreciate the speed of this solution. We found the original Cassandra not to be fast enough for our needs. We tried Scylla and found it to be a lot faster.

What needs improvement?

The last time I checked, there were still some Cassandra features that were not yet implemented, but I haven't checked the latest version. I was going to use it for another client, but then I found out that it was lacking some features that are present in Cassandra but not yet implemented in Scylla.

I have been using this solution for roughly three years.

Stability-wise, we haven't experienced any issues.

Scalability is one of the key features of this kind of database solution. You can easily scale up — there are no problems there.

The customer support is very knowledgeable and they give feedback as soon as they can. Although they say that their Slack support channel doesn't have guarantees, it's actually quite reliable when it comes to getting answers — they say that you should use the ticketing system, but Slack also works.

My other client is using Cassandra because the software they're using doesn't support Scylla. I find that I have more memory management issues with Cassandra versus Scylla. The fact is, although this client has lower traffic than my other client who uses Scylla, I'm getting more maintenance tasks with regards to Cassandra versus Scylla.

It was very well documented and pretty straightforward. The Scylla development team did a great job with regards to documenting how to install it, including all of the steps you need to follow.

Per node back then, when I was following the manual steps, it took me less than 30 minutes per node. Overall, it took one and a half hours maximum to set it up.

We just followed their documentation steps regarding implementation and set it up ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it out and use the documentation — they provide excellent documentation. Also, be sure to ask questions in their public community groups. The people there are really quite helpful. Just try it out first and see if it works for your use case.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Scylla a rating of nine.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about ScyllaDB, MongoDB, Aerospike and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: December 2020.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.