SEEBURGER BIS Review

This platform is the gate to our suppliers and customers. I would like to see a simplified interface.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to have one system that can handle any protocol: One of the strongest features
  • No need to have multiple systems for different types of communication protocols
  • The software can run on any platform: Makes it very flexible

How has it helped my organization?

We minimized our complexity and decreased the number of systems to communicate with our partners. These are the biggest advantages that yield cost savings.

Everything now is centralized. This platform is the gate to our suppliers and customers.

What needs improvement?

• The interface and logging of messages could be more simplified. Everything is in Java and uses hash codes or UUID codes. This sometimes makes it very hard to know what has happened or what issue you might have.
  • They could fix their protocol adapters so they really work with each OEM. Although it is sold with the OEM tag, you have to configure it to make it work as required.
  • They tend to release a lot of service packs throughout the year, always fixing bugs that other customers report. It is as though they are building the system as time moves forward and providing enhancements.
  • Monitoring of the application is very poor. You have to make custom scripts to monitor what is really important.

I’ve been using the solution for seven years.

We had issues with stability. The system is not always stable and you could have a problem at any time without notice. I think they develop it more for Linux based platforms which I hear are stable. However, we are an AIX shop, unfortunately.

We didn't have any issues with scalability. The architecture of their software and solutions is very scalable on paper. If your network cannot handle their requirements, they will offer other ideas that will work. Thumbs up on that part.

Everything is done though a ticket system. It works with a few ping-pongs of emails. The support team is knowledgeable about their product and they are always looking to help you.

During an emergency, however, I would expect:

• A higher level of support
  • Help from someone who can speak English very well
  • Assistance from someone who is in our own time zone: The support center is centralized

Prior to our SAP installation, we had a simple system to send data though a product called ECQ from Compuware. That product no longer exists, as far as I know. It was not very robust in terms of where we were headed in the future.

The training you receive is not that great. A lot of it is self-taught. They could do a better job of explaining the inner workings of the logic used, so that one can relate to what is going on.

It was more about learning the system and how it operates with a separate database (Oracle) in our case. You have to know very well what kind of transactions you will do, how frequently, and what volumes are going to come to the system.

The licensing model is fair. You normally get a production license along with a stand-by license and a test/QA license for testing. The customer can be flexible to some degree on licensing.

Pricing is somewhat expensive for what the system is doing. There are cheaper solutions on the market, but they might not cover everything you need under one roof.

I was not involved in evaluating other options.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research as to what your needs are with regard to both technical and business flows.

If the monitoring and debugging of flows is key, then you really want to get a demo. See how the system functions and if your team can understand it.