Selenium HQ Review

We have been able to fix many browser related issues in the application before deployment, but I've seen latency issues in IE while executing scripts.

Valuable Features

• Open source
  • Ability to run tests across multiple browsers and OS
  • Using Java as programming language

Improvements to My Organization

1. There are important projects in my organization which require a lot of cross browser testing to make sure that the application functions across different types of browsers eg. Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox, and Safari along with different versions eg IE9,10,11 etc. Hence we needed a tool which can run our tests across all these browsers in different machines to ensure defect free application. We have been able to fix many browser related issues in the application before deployment. Thus our efficiency of delivering a higher quality product has been increased a lot.
    This is important because our end users may use any kind of browser to use the application and we don’t want to get into issues where our applications crashes in 1 browser and works well in other.
  2. A lot of time & cost has been saved by using Selenium automation because now we don’t need all browsers to be tested by manual testers. Just 1 automation script is required which can be run across different browsers. We only need 1 person to kick off the script execution

Room for Improvement

We have seen latency issues with Internet Explorer. I would like to see better support for Internet Explorer.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year and one month.

I've seen latency issues in IE while executing scripts. The same script runs faster in Chrome and FireFox. Sometimes, the same xpath may not identify an object in Internet Explorer, but will identify it in Chrome/FireFox. So we have to write a different code in that case. This is not a very common scenario though.

Although there is no customer service for this, the code documentation and online resources make it easy to work with.

We used IBM Rational Functional Tester v8.5. The reason we switched over this product was because Selenium WebDriver:

• Is Open source
  • Supports execution in multiple browsers
  • Has the ability to run multiple tests across browsers and OS at the same time using Selenium Grid

It was straightforward. All we needed was an editor like Eclipse and all the required JAR files and driver executables. All these are available online.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house. You should have JRE up to date, and make sure your IDE is configured properly. All driver executables should be downloaded and all JAR files should be applied to the project.

ROI

We have saved overs 400 hours of effort in our regression testing.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There is no license cost.