Selenium HQ Review

It's provided shorter testing cycles, and saves a lot of time and mental health for manual testers, but it needs better stability for Internet Explorer.

Valuable Features

It's open source, free, stable, and easy to use. It's the best solution on the market.

Improvements to My Organization

It's provided shorter testing cycles, and saves a lot of time and mental health for manual testers. It helps with performing scheduled builds, and automatically generated test reports, etc.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to be able to perform stability for tests on Internet Explorer.

Use of Solution

We've used it for over one and a half years. We're running web test automation using Java language, and the Selenium library with the latest web drivers, alongside TestNG for managing test flow. We have Gradle for building and dependency management and Jenkins as CI tool. Tests are built and run on virtual machines (no remote driver).

The stability is a concern. Internet Explorer tests take three times longer to run and are a lot less stable than those run on Chrome, for example.

I haven't contacted them.

I haven't contacted them.

It took some time. I had to create, wrap and decorate a lot of its functionality.

Implementation Team

It was done in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

We tried HP UFT, but did did not like the speed, and IDE. Also, there was no choice of programming language, it's not free, and a lot harder to maintain.

Other Advice

The library is nicely done. The webdriver communication with the browser is not perfect, though, especially IE. The longer the test is the higher the chance it will break down. It's impossible to reach 100% stability with more complicated tests. Very likely that the problem lies within Internet Explorer, not within the webdriver.

Very good for testers with programming experience and web developers, not so much for regular testers, unless they are given a “ready” framework and shown how to write tests.

1 Comment
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesReal UserTOP 10

We are using it for running web test automation using Java language, and the Selenium library with the latest web drivers, alongside Tests are built and run on virtual machines (no remote driver). This is faster and very good tool.

09 December 15