Selenium HQ Review
It replaces manual regression testing, reducing testing time due to its cross-browser, parallel, and remote executions. But, it needs more support for IE and Safari.

What is our primary use case?

We took Selenium for web product test automation and as it very well suits as it has capacity to execute in different browser, different environment. Also it has lot other capacities to scale up test automation and yield better ROI.

How has it helped my organization?

Web-based application automation are mostly done using Selenium. It's the right automation tool as a replacement for manual regression testing that indispensably reduces the testing time due to its cross-browser, parallel, and remote executions.

What is most valuable?

- Most importantly, it is an open source tool.

- Parallel executions (same browser in parallel, different browser in parallel).

- Remote executions using Node and Hub.

- Integration with CI tools like Jenkins

- Multi-platform support (for details have a look at http://www.seleniumhq.org/about/platforms.jsp).

- Cross-browser Support (Chrome, Firefox, different versions of IE, Safari, Opera).

- Supported environments are Windows, Linux & Mac.

- Supports different scripting languages (JAVA, C#, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Objective C, Javascript).

- Huge user community.

What needs improvement?

It has extensive support for Chrome and Firefox, but more is needed for IE, Edge and Safari.

To some extent it is unstable while executing against different versions of IE browser, but that could be overcome through some work-around and framework design. Edge browser executions are not stable as IE browsers.

Obviously, we have better support from various users as it is an open source tool. We have a huge number of customers in the open community at different levels to provide support.

Basically, to start with setup is straightforward and easier. If you use the remote web-driver, it is slightly complex to make the setup.

Our in-house team is used for the entire implementation of the framework. Being open-source, lot of valuable additions are made in a free-flow while developing the framework.

It's an open source tool.

3 visitors found this review helpful

10 Comments

it_user335340Real UserTOP 20

This is a great tool. I am using it. There are pros and cons. however it works.

15 December 15
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

Deva, good information. Does Selenium support Microsoft's Edge browser?

04 January 17
Deva VeluchamyReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Hey Don, yes it supports edge browser with its native edge driver. There are still limitations in few areas with respect edge as like IE browsers.

05 January 17
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

Thank you Deva. Did you learn Java before you started learning Selenium?

05 January 17
Deva VeluchamyReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Yes Don, if you prefer Selenium with Java then learning it becomes mandatory.

10 January 17
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

Deva, the question I had is were you already proficient in Java? It is my understanding a person needs to be a Java developer or close to it to be proficient at Selenium.

10 January 17
Deva VeluchamyReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Yes, i had good knowledge on Java.

11 January 17
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

Deva, thanks for answering my question and the point of my question is that being proficient at Java is usually the case before learning Selenium. From your response this seems to be true.

11 January 17
Abdul NomanConsultant

Don! you can start learning selenium from YouTube. There you will see a lot of people doing good work on it and they teaches you selenium as well as Java. I had no knowledge of JAVA but when I start working on selenium then I learn Java automatically.

04 May 17
RahulSharma5Real UserTOP 5

"Hiya,

I love all the posts, I really enjoyed.
I would like more information about this,https://asha24.com/blog/automation-anywhere-interview-questions-and-answers""> because it is very nice ., Thanks for sharing.

We'd like to know the way how to open ISE by code directly, or the way to launch ISE in viewdraw or Library Manager.
By the way, we can open our central library automatically, but failed to find out the way how to run the Menu Tools> Symbol Editor in xDM Library Tools.

I am so grateful for your blog. Really looking forward to read more.

Kind Regards,