ServiceNow Discovery Review

Good service mapping, an easy initial setup, and very mature as a product

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for consolidating all the CIs and to make sure we've discovered all the network devices, servers, etc. It helps us maintain what we have and actually pulls all the information together horizontally and vertically in order to create a data model. We throw it into the CMDB where we can import the information and assign CIs for optimal IT operations. We use that probably twice a year, depending upon how much the changes are happening on the data center.

How has it helped my organization?

From the ideal perspective, IT operations actually enhance your operational functionality and give you insights into the health and visibility of your IT platforms on a daily basis. You can pull reports in 24-hour increments to take a look at physical instances and capacity issues.

What is most valuable?

In ServiceNow this is ITSM and there's ITIL. So far, we've found that ITSM is the most popular.

The ability to pull reports to check the health of the IT platforms is quite useful. You can pull reports daily to look at everything from capacity issues to physical instances.

The service mapping is excellent.

The maturity of the solution is very good. We're driving our customers to obtain that level of maturity in their own IT space.

The process involving the original setup of the solution is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve the cost of the solution. There are a few different solutions and they do act the same and have the same types of capabilities, however, the cost is quite high.

I've been using the solution for three and a half years now.

The solution has very good stability. I don't recall witnessing many bugs or glitches on the product. It doesn't crash. It's reliable overall.

The solution is very scalable. A company wouldn't have any problems expanding if it needed to.

We have about 96,000 people in our organization.

I am a solutions consultant and a Discovery certified professional, so I could troubleshoot any issues myself if I needed to. With that being the case, I don't really need to reach out to technical support, so I can't speak to the quality of service.

I've worked on EMC extensively as well. We have used other tools. However, we use Discovery extensively.

Service Now has a great drag and drop functionality, which makes it easier to use, than, say EMC. It's dedicated itself to designing an easy to use tool for IT defense. I understand EMC is coming out with a new tool that rivals Service Now, however, in general, Service Now's tool gives users better leverage.

The initial setup is pretty good. It's what differentiates it from the competition.

The solution is quite expensive.

We have evaluated other services in the past, including EMC.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with the solution.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. If you are already using Service Now products, Discover makes for a good complimenting solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More ServiceNow Discovery reviews from users