ServiceNow Discovery Review

A great single system of records which allows addition of other modules

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using Discovery to make sure that we have a single record in the CI, or a primary source of truth. Most of our customers are buying ServiceNow from the CMDB perspective as well as Discovery. Very few have moved on to the next level, which is the service mapping. Our primary use case is definitely in terms of the CMDB because they have all the processes working in silos including the SS or the CIs, it's all managed in silos. That is our biggest problem. Everybody has access to the CMDB so anybody can actually update the records.

The other thing is that we wanted to make sure that they capture the CI, the relationship between the CIs. That is our other main objective and focus.

We are an elite partner of ServiceNow and I'm the solution architect for IT operations management.

What is most valuable?

The advantage of the solution is that it's a single system of record and it captures the relationship. I need to be able to enable the plugin for DRCOG data certification.

What needs improvement?

The patterns are the biggest area where improvement could be made. If there's no pattern for application X, then you can't discover that particular application. That is a drawback of the product. ServiceNow gives the URL or specifies an application they can discover and devices they can discover. But if the customer has something else, then it's a challenge. One of my customers had an NAS device and it couldn't discover it. If you don't have the back end of ServiceNow, then unfortunately it doesn't work.

None of this applies to iPhones. ServiceNow claims it can discover iPhones but the data is very limited. It's really not applicable.

I've been using Discovery for more than six years.

I haven't had any issues with stability.

I think the initial setup is more complex than it initially appears.

Our client uses Qualys so I was comparing that with ServiceNow. The client already has Qualys in their infrastructure. They were hoping to continue using Qualys and ingesting the data into ServiceNow. That is not a helpful integration but I wanted to evaluate it so I will suggest they use ServiceNow separately.

What other advice do I have?

The advantage of ServiceNow is that it's a single system of record which allows you to build other modules on top of it. That's the advantage of ServiceNow,

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud