What is our primary use case?
I have two primary uses of ServiceNow:
1. As our ITSM Platform for providing Application Managed Services (AMS) to Enterprise clients who have solutions on Oracle, Workday, Coupa, and ServiceNow. NOTE: Other groups within my firm also use ServiceNow to provide IT Service Management to clients on Microsoft, SalesForce, and other major vendors. We have multiple production instances for delivering Service Desk support to various client install bases, including this one for my above mentioned AMS business.
2. As the ITSM platform for our internal, global support framework. This is a separate instance of the one I use for my UK clients and is 'owned' by our US member firm. Said US firm uses this instance to support not only our internal global Management Consulting business but also to provide AMS to US-based external clients.
How has it helped my organization?
ServiceNow has enabled us to rapidly deploy Application Managed Services for new clients, with the ability to configure, extend, and tailor our ITSM Platform to meet individual client needs. ServiceNow's multi-instance model helps enable that flexibility. For example, we recently took on a new Workday client by modifying our ServiceNow instance (configurations and workflows) within 5 months, with successful go-live afterward.
ServiceNow has also enabled our Management Consulting business to provide Digital Transformation services for our clients the world over, as we use the platform as an accelerator for doing IT Target Operating Model transformations.
What is most valuable?
ServiceNow's Customer Service Management (CSM) Pro & DevOps modules in particular - including ServiceNow's strong interface APIs (to Jira in particular in my case) - have allowed us to:
1. Automate some of the more menial tasks while accounting for our need to develop
2. Deploy a lot of new features and functionality that get continuously and rapidly introduced by the major vendors via their regular upgrades (e.g. Oracle 4 times per year, Coupa 3 times per year, Workday 2 times per year, etc.).
What needs improvement?
There are no outstanding gaps or deficiencies that I face at the moment for my business or operational needs. That said, I am interested to see the firm's strategic plans for Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), and how the particular areas it will expand on from its existing investments (that feature, for example, in its ITSM Pro and CSM Pro modules). Our AMS business will benefit from further automation of the more mundane tasks as we continue to develop the platform's configurations - including the streamlining / automation of our change control workflow for faster deployment (critical when tackling the very frequent upgrade cadences of Oracle, Workday, Coupa, etc.).
For how long have I used the solution?
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
Very stable so far. I have yet to experience an outage of any of the ServiceNow instances my operations/teams use.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
Scalability is good on the production side. It could be better performance on some of our lower environments, notably UAT for our global support estate - although I suspect that is partly down to how our Dev team manage their workloads and the access set up they have (too many users floating in/out?). I have not called for an audit however, so my view here is not qualified.
How are customer service and technical support?
Minimal need for support - from my personal vantage point - and for the few times we have needed support, the turnaround time and quality of support has been good. No complaints.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We used Jira initially for our internal Help Desk platform, but it fell far short of needs for the underlying service management workflows we employed.
How was the initial setup?
I entered into already established estates, so was not exposed to the efforts in setting up the ServiceNow instance sets.
What about the implementation team?
All has been in-house. We have full capabilities, as we do service implementations of ServiceNow for our clients and have invested in having internal development and support skills/capabilities.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
We moved directly to ServiceNow for two reasons:
1. It was already the production ITSM platform for our US member firm who was given the (internal) contract to support our global management consulting business; and
2. We knew from our multi-year use of ServiceNow for (a) delivering IT Target Operating Model digital transformations to clients AND (b) delivering our Application Managed Services to external clients that this solution would easily meet our ITSM requirements.
Which deployment model are you using for this solution?
If public cloud, private cloud, or hybrid cloud, which cloud provider do you use?