ServiceNow Review

Scripted REST APIs and Flow Designer are easier and Client scripts are simpler

What is our primary use case?

We are trying to bring some ServiceNow projects to our team. We are trying to upgrade our ServiceNow knowledge by learning the modules and building our own application. We are presenting the application that we develop to our management. We can then market ourselves, showing that we have some ServiceNow capabilities so that we get some ServiceNow projects.

We have used almost all the features of ServiceNow within this application. Almost all the reports, data evaluation, dashboards, widgets, all the workflow-related stuff, integrations, etc. We have used each ServiceNow topic in this application.

How has it helped my organization?

We are building an application, as I mentioned. We are trying to build an Agile management application where we can track Agile projects, along with some traditional processes. We were able to build that tool in a controlled and better way in ServiceNow, when compared to Remedy. We can provide this application to our company for different projects.

For that, they will have to buy the ServiceNow instance. That is our aim. Once they start buying the ServiceNow instance, ultimately, we'll be getting our own support ID, so that we'll be able to work with ServiceNow very closely and become full-fledged, ourselves, on ServiceNow.

What is most valuable?

I have found many features that are important and that are easier when compared to Remedy; for example, the Scripted REST APIs and the Flow Designer. These all look like features at the configuration level. But in Remedy, there is coding to do, while here it's just a drag-and-drop. I found that very useful. Also, the Client scripts are simpler when you compare with Remedy.

And finally, the upgrades. The upgrade in Remedy is a project. But here, it is zero downtime for any code changes in an upgrade.

These are all things which really are advantages ServiceNow.

What needs improvement?

Earlier, ServiceNow had the ability where you could build your own UI. The standard UI is very restricted. It doesn't look as good, compared to Remedy. Building your own UI requires some additional coding, but the standard UI is not that good when compared to Remedy's UI.

When it comes to reference fields, there are some limitations where you aren't able to use them, like in relationship queries. In Remedy, when you click a menu, you get options directly, whereas here, if you use a reference field, it points you to a different form. So the UI experience totally changes for the end user.

These are some of the ways ServiceNow could improve the UI, out-of-the-box.

Less than one year.

Currently it's stable.

Many customers are choosing ServiceNow as their ITSM product and that is the reason we are planning to switch. ServiceNow is the trending tool for ITSM. Many customers have been migrating from Remedy to ServiceNow.

I have training on Cherwell which can be used as an ITSM software tool. Demand for Cherwell is very limited.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a very good tool. The one challenge is that it involves scripting. Many things can be done through configuration and that is a very good part of ServiceNow. If you have some basic scripting knowledge, you can build your own application which can be used at any company or organization.

Considering the issues which I mentioned earlier related to the UI and the reference fields, out of ten I would rate ServiceNow an eight. To make it a ten they would have to come up with a better way of implementing UI.