SevOne Review

​The most valuable feature for us is its flexibility to handle different systems and different functions. We use it for networking, service systems, PDU's, and anything that's available for SO&P.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We had multiple systems when I first got here. We use SevOne to stabilize our system and standardize our operations around it. It's simple enough for me to hire administrative-level employees who can function in a capable manner. And I save money, too, because I can hire less-expensive employees who don't need to have high levels of education and a lot of training.

We've also been able to move away from having a dozen systems, databases and collections station. I've got a distributed architecture now based on an appliance. I also have less things to have to patch if there's an issue.

Room for Improvement

The way they handle their data migration while upgrading the system needs to be simplified and standardized. I don't want to have to bring out professional services to help me when I upgrade to a new server. Every upgrade we've done -- and we've done them all -- have been highly disruptive and extraordinarily difficult. Upgrades of new systems should not be this complex. I have 125 appliances in my environment. The migration really needs to be performed in the most non-disruptive manner as possible. I can't afford anything less.

I've also found a horrible flaw in the migration process where the database is now using redundant disks. The operating system is not, so if I lose my operating system disk, I lose my system. That's a significant weakness because they basically rate controllers. Everything is rated a 5 except for the OS disk.

I'm not sure why this is the case. They have improved their reporting capabilities significantly over the years. I would like to see them continue, even to the point of maybe introducing a standalone reporting server. Either that or allow me to extract data into a data warehouse so that I can get more extensive reporting functions.

We're having that issue now where I am trying to extract data, so instead of keeping years' worth of data on the system, I keep three months of live data and then move the data offsite. It's been very difficult in the way they store data. It's inconsistent with the way other vendors do it, so it's been difficult.

Use of Solution

We've used it since 2008, so about 8 years now.

We've had a few issues pop up here and there, but generally it's been a stable product. My biggest complaint now is that I've got 70 systems I have to upgrade with no simple way to do it. I'll have to get professional services involved, and that's going to be expensive.

Technical support is very knowledgable. There are some really very bright people there. I think, though, that some of their designs have restricted their ability to provide a flexibly response. That could be argued either way, good or bad. They are typically very reactive to issues as they are discovered and we've found ways to resolve most issues as they come up.

We had an aging infrastructure and we were looking for alternatives. Other products required DBA's, administrators, and developers. However, SevOne packaged everything together in a simple enough manner so that I could maintain a workforce and which was capable of operating the system without building and maintaining the entire infrastructure.

ROI

We have an ROI as our licensing price point is very reasonable. We're roughly five times the size we were when we first started using this product.

2 visitors found this review helpful