SharePoint Review

Access to files is secured and controlled via roles & permissions in LDAP.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of valuable features (e.g., ease of use, collaboration, integration with LDAP, security, accessibility, stability, etc.).

Integration with LDAP is valuable because:

• Access to all files is secured and controlled via the roles & permissions that are sitting in LDAP for each user. This saves time and effort in determining who should have access to what, how and where.
  • Access level in terms of editing capabilities can be controlled easily, too.
  • Advanced reporting: Tracking who accessed what, how and when, recording the details, including all successful access and all denied attempts.
  • Made multiple-factor authentication possible· Password synchronization, password recovery, SSO (single sign-on)

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a common place to communicate and collaborate, common repository of documents, etc.

What needs improvement?

• Data and use analysis
  • Load balancing
  • Common theme
  • Better editing tools: The editing tools are still not up to par with all the existing hi-tech & GUI editing tools:
    • To name a few: Real-time trapping, dynamic previews, auto-theme regeneration, animation features, 3D features, color grading & saturation, real-time snapshot replication & deduplication, multi-platform and software language adoptability, file-level security & encryption feature, content security capability
    • Hardware Limitations: Responsiveness to multi-gesture input devices (similar to the ones used in the Iron Man movies or the Minority Report), robotic assistance (thumb print, eye retina scan, voice recognition, etc.)
    • WCAG: auto-accessibility compliance capability & assistance

I have seen bits & pieces of these features from different software companies, but none have actually put them all together, yet.

One day – someday – with the fast developments in technology, the best is still to come.

I have used it for 14+ years.

I have not encountered any stability issues; very reliable.

I have encountered scalability issues, but only due to a physical server. With virtual server architecture, this can be resolved easily.

From Microsoft, technical support is very good – but rarely needed.

I previously used a different solution; switched because of ease of use and deployment.

Initial setup was straightforward; some steps are implied for an experienced IT tech.

We got this through the California Foundation for Community Colleges; a four-site license.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated an in-house solution.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It works.

1 Comment
author avatarOrlee Gillis

What made you choose this over an in-house solution?