SharePoint Review

It produces workflows down to the user or product level, integrates KPIs and uses standard reporting tools.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are its ease of integration and customization.

Improvements to My Organization

• Produced workflows down to user / product level
  • Easy KPI integration
  • Use of standard reporting tools

Room for Improvement

The documentation can be improved, so it is easier to use for non-technical people. The documentation was clear only after full training was completed, not for starters.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues, but prior infrastructure planning is a must. When systems are well defined, all setup and integration runs smoothly.

I have not encountered any scalability issues, but that requires the same conditions that ensure stability.

Technical support is perfect; nothing to complain about. Our market is special and they have minimal experience in special market segments, so they had a learning curve as well.

We previously used a solution called Hornbill (Supportworks); it was out of date and had less flexibility in customization and no access to the source code level.

Prior infrastructure planning is a must. When systems are well defined, all setup and integration runs smoothly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

• Look very well what your need is.
  • Compare that with the budget.
  • Do a full in-house inquiry to define:

• What the real need is.
    • How to adjust internal procedures when needed, and if it is possible.
    • Whether the system can be adjusted to the company's needs.
  • Make a clear time line.
  • Make internal resources available.
  • Do not make the error of fixing a time line and not allocating the resources accordingly.
  • Make a clear plan of what you need.
  • Do not plan for your current need; add some space for future expansion.
  • Look into easy expansion; add licenses when needed.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, we evaluated too many other options to list. We surveyed over 15 providers/solutions, and no one had a 100% fix for our company. We selected SharePoint based on flexibility, the best score, and that we were able to do our own changes. Some suppliers demanded that they do all the changes, so you would be locked to them if you need changes in the future; the system would become more expensive.

Other Advice

In addition to what I’ve already mentioned, if possible, have dedicated implementation staff. Or, get external staff involved after they have reviewed your company processes for optimization; they have a neutral view of the company and are not stuck in current processes the current users work with.

2 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

Thanks, Henry. Do you have any advice for less techie people who will read the documentation?

13 October 16
Management: Information and records at a non-tech companyReal UserTOP 20

Hi Henry
What you described about SharePoint enlightened me on what I can use it for.

In the situation where the QMS Manual has the functional procedures per organisational functions.
Documents and records are linking to the functional File Plan (indexed), against each functional activity' document requirements.
Each activity has input, output, requirements and the document number linking to the index (file plan)

I have the view that proper integration (repository) defined through who access and who is denied access might help in the central monitoring and control of documents and records. End users can pull documents and records to administer job activities and send them down the process channels to the reporting end

Do have the correct view?

25 November 16